Tiger and its RAM needs

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
421
0
I was wondering what you guys think on how much RAM Tiger is goign to need to run well. As soon as it comes preloaded, I'm goign to buy a 12-inch PowerBook with a 100 gig HD and 768 mb of RAM, and yes this is the most I can get since I'm 15 and this is a birthday present from my parents to replace my 1GHz, 512 RAM, 30 gig 12-inch iBook. Will this be enough for a smooth ride?
 

nekkets

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
27
0
hey man, i think your ibook is still good enough to run tiger. I say just upgrade your iBook ram and save your parents some money for your education.
 
Comment

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
246
0
Down Under
nekkets said:
hey man, i think your ibook is still good enough to run tiger. I say just upgrade your iBook ram and save your parents some money for your education.
ditto.

your ibook might not be able to take advantage of core image but until there are benchmarks for tiger on non-core image supporting macs to compare to the ones which do support the technology i'd wait to upgrade.
 
Comment

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
nightdweller25 said:
I was wondering what you guys think on how much RAM Tiger is goign to need to run well. As soon as it comes preloaded, I'm goign to buy a 12-inch PowerBook with a 100 gig HD and 768 mb of RAM, and yes this is the most I can get since I'm 15 and this is a birthday present from my parents to replace my 1GHz, 512 RAM, 30 gig 12-inch iBook. Will this be enough for a smooth ride?
The PB will run it witout any problems, but the only thing with the iBook is that it does not support core-image..so the dashboard rain++ you won't be able to see but other wise OK ;)
 
Comment

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
276
3
GB
Platform said:
..so the dashboard rain++ you won't be able to see but other wise OK ;)
I know this was a quip, but I thought that the way core image worked was that it would use the graphics card if it was available/supported/free, but if not it would just push the work back on to the cpu?
 
Comment

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
tzibo said:
I know this was a quip, but I thought that the way core image worked was that it would use the graphics card if it was available/supported/free, but if not it would just push the work back on to the cpu?
No it can't push that work to the cpu because some effects have to do with pixel shader, wich the cpu can't do ;)
 
Comment

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
616
0
Yea, Tiger will function with out a coreImage supported card. It will render some of the fancy stuff in CPU but some of the more complicated stuff will not and will be skipped over (like the Dashboard effect). Dashboard still works, it just isn't as cool looking when it comes and goes. No big deal, the functionality is there, just isn't as pretty.
 
Comment

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Wait!

If I were you I wouldn't ask for that machine!
Your iBook already meets the requirements and will be fine (I'm hopefully installing Tiger on my PB G3 Pismo 500Mhz 384MB ram 10GB HD).
My STRONG advice would be NOT to buy two Macs that are essentially so SIMILAR!
You'll have a pretty small boost from 1-1.67GHz 512-768MB RAM is almost no improvement.
The iBook will run Tiger perfectly - Wait and get a G5 based system! - there is no benefit owning two computers that are essentially same generation! - What do you do on your iBook that makes you want to upgrade so badly? I could understand If you were a Professional user who needed extra screen space and things like that. I find 384MB RAM on a G3 500 runs 90% of my apps to my satifaction!

Like previous posts have said, the ONLY thing you'll get for this huge investment would be a minor speed bump and no "prettiness". (I don't get the transitions, effects and such that my G4 iMac does on my PowerBook G3, but TRUST ME, it really makes no difference! I almost prefer the "no-noncense" experience I get from my G3!) - Not much "bang" for the buck!
 
Comment

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
24,784
143
Harrogate
Platform said:
No it can't push that work to the cpu because some effects have to do with pixel shader, wich the cpu can't do ;)
Yes it can: Intro To CoreImage

Key Quote: "Core Image executes these operations, whenever possible, using either the Velocity Engine in the PowerPC G4 or G5 CPUs or the high performance GPUs on the latest video cards"

Basically Image Units are written in a new language (C-Like) that is then compiled to run on the GPU or CPU. If you are using a lot of Image Units at once it should use both (or all in the case of multiple CPUs).
 
Comment

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
i heard that the 12" powerbook's video card won't support the new core technologies anyway. not sure how accurate that is but if that is the case then it's definatetly not worth it just for that. BUT... an upgrade from a 1GHz to 1.5GHz would definately be nice.
 
Comment

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
3,735
159
I upgraded from a 1GHZ iBook G4 to the current Powerbook 12 inch, and it was a significant increase in performance.

Sounds like you plan to order a great Powerbook. Enjoy!
 
Comment

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
421
0
hmmm...

I probably should've explained myself better, see, the iBook is for my sister, she loves it and I'm really sick and tired of the 30 gig hard drive which i thought was enough (it really wasn't not even close), and it's kind of expensive to put in a new hard drive by a professional and I'm not willing to open up my iBook, That and the fact that i do want a slightly better machine that can handle more games. BTW, I also use Final Cut Express for about once a week for my multimedia class and usually end up doing fairly big projects and the faster, bigger hard-drive, speed increase, and more RAM would really benefit me, anyways... NO ONE ANSWERED MY QUESTION! :rolleyes:
 
Comment

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
1,195
0
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
So Lost.

Everyone else is asking this question:

Will CoreImage work on my system?

I have an iMac G5 with 1.25Gbs of Ram, is that enough?

Or should I get a Dual 2.7 PowerMac with 16Gbs of Ram, is that enough?


I'm distraught. :( :rolleyes:
 
Comment

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
660
0
Santa Barbara, CA
nightdweller25: a 12" PB with 768 MB of RAM should do just fine. It obviously won't be as fast as an iMac or PowerMac, but Apple's Core Image pages lists the FX Go 5200 (the 12" PB's video card) as supported. I say go for it.

sjpetry: I have a 1.8 GHz iMac with 1 GB of RAM, so I sure hope this will run Tiger fine. I'm sure it will. The 64 MB FX5200 Ultra, though one of the lower-quality cards among those supported for Core Image, will hopefully be up to the task. I wouldn't worry; any G5 Mac should be fully functional for Tiger.
 
Comment

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
246
0
Down Under
nightdweller25 said:
I probably should've explained myself better, see, the iBook is for my sister, she loves it and I'm really sick and tired of the 30 gig hard drive which i thought was enough (it really wasn't not even close), and it's kind of expensive to put in a new hard drive by a professional and I'm not willing to open up my iBook, That and the fact that i do want a slightly better machine that can handle more games. BTW, I also use Final Cut Express for about once a week for my multimedia class and usually end up doing fairly big projects and the faster, bigger hard-drive, speed increase, and more RAM would really benefit me, anyways... NO ONE ANSWERED MY QUESTION! :rolleyes:
ok to answer your question:

yes, the powerbook will run tiger fine, although more ram might be good if you use Final Cut a lot. the pb's gpu (FX5200) also supports core image.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.