Tiger: Best OS X version yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TSE, Apr 22, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Anybody else here miss Tiger? I feel like Tiger was the best Mac OS X version yet, while yes, Leopard has more features, Tiger has a better looking UI, and was overall more stable and less system-resource taxing. Some of the Leopard features that have come out don't even make sense, not to mention the new iMovie was a huge step down from iMovie 6 HD. Apple kind of let me down with Leopard, I still love it as an OS, but I just find Tiger better.

2. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Well, I've never had problems with Leopard so far. About the UI, I think it's just a question of taste, since I prefer Leopard's UI than Tiger's.

Btw, Snow Leopard looks to be best OS ever ;)

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

well,ive only used tiger.so far its the best os ive ever used.then again ive only used windows xp,and tiger.but tiger is amazing. and im sure once i get the new mac mini leopard will be just as amazing

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I much prefer Leopard's UI over brushed metal ... but I will give you the fact that it felt faster.

For me, the features of Leopard are worth it. And the speed has improved with the updates.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I like the nontransparent menubar in leopard more, but the tiger menubar beats the transparent bar in Leopard. However, there was just too much brushed metal in Tiger, brushed metal is hideous.
    I'll agree with you there. Leopard crashes on me a lot more often than it should (although it's still rare) Tiger, on the other hand, was super light it always seemed responsive and fast, where with Leopard I can feel serious slow downs.
    Example?

Not true at all. The old iMovie was downright idiotic and dangerous. Who thought it was a good idea to have a destructive movie editor? I like iMovie '08, but neither of the iMovies are anything close to FCE.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, really.

iMovie 08 did what it was supposed to do, make it simple for those whom have never edited before to edit video.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

quick look alone is worth the price of upgrading leopard to me. I'm not sure how I got by without it in Tiger.

8. tripletaker macrumors member

I'm still using both Tiger (work) and Leopard (home).

I prefer Leopard's UI over Tigers. The blue colors are starting to get old. Also because I'm used to Leopard, Tiger seems... old.

Also Leopard's Spotlight is a lot faster although the organizing the search is kind of limited. There's a lot of little things in Leopard that you appreciate and miss when you use Tiger.

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Use Leopard almost all of the time, and IMHO it's the gr8est version of OS X yet (of any OS actually... ;))
    Whenever I use Tiger, I can't help thinking that it feels so old..! :p

But, seriously: I love Leopard, and Leopard Server. Even better than Tiger.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Leopard really broke my Spotlight workflow for finding and managing my images.

It's a real pleasure then I can use Tiger on my brother's iMac.

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Leopard looks nicer, is faster, and more stable (for me.)

Loving it :)

12. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I haven't even noticed a difference really(other than a couple of obvious new features)
    As for Leopard being a resource hog, I'm running this at at least the same speed as Tiger on an iBook G4 so it can't be that bad.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea ill agree leopard is a tad more resource hogging, but its well worth it.

tiger was amazing but it didnt REALLY capture my eye UI wise. it was very stable and amazing.

bit hard to say which is the best, they both have their ups and downs.

15. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Tiger was a gorgeous OS and is still highly usable today. There's been a lot of (at best) sidewards movement and unfortunate missteps in the looks and usability department of OS X since then.

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

17. SanJacinto macrumors regular

SanJacinto

On one of my MacBooks, I am still using Snow Leopard, great OS.

But honestly, are you still using Tiger as your daily OS?

18. dogslobber macrumors 68000

dogslobber

Not much hardware can run a Tiger nowadays ;-)