Tiger Boot Camp Beta VS Leopard Boot Camp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Knolly, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Question for all of y'all...

Let's say I upgrade to Leopard from Tiger. Is there any advantage to deleting my windows partition and remaking it with the Leopard tools versus using the one I made with Tiger? I'm not sure how tightly integrated boot camp is with Leopard so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask...

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It's no different from upgrading to a later boot camp beta. Some drivers will be updated, but that's about it. No real need to wipe the partition

3. jakk2809 macrumors member

Right before I update to Leopard on friday (fresh install) I'm going to wipe out my Vista. I want to have the Leo bootcamp and not a beta version. It's going to take me like 20 hours to get my MBP the way it is now but with Leopard >.<

4. Knolly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I safely assume I'll be able to get driver updates with a Tiger-era Windows partition? The last boot camp update made it clear to me how big of a difference display drivers can make... (Bioshock went from unplayable to running excellently at nearly highest settings, heh).

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

They make it pretty clear on their website that you don't need to do that. Just pop the Leopard disk into your computer while booted in Windows to update the drivers.

jW

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Actually there is a distinct disadvantage to wiping your boot camp partition: you'll have to reactivate Windows. That means you'll probably have to call an 800#, tell a voice recognition system the never ended activation code (hoping it recognizes what you are saying) and then typing in a new never ended code.

So, do your self a favor and don't wipe your boot camp drive. All Boot Camp is is a set of drivers. Do you normally wipe your drive each time you install new or updated win drivers? I'm guessing not.

7. Jocko macrumors member

Yeah there's seriously no reason to do that. Boot camp really just consists of 2 things, the OS loader and the drivers. Other than that you have an NTFS or FAT32 partitition on your hard drive with Windows installed. That part won't change. The Leopard install will upgrade the OS loader. Then you just burn a new driver CD and update your drivers in Vista. I'd hate to see you blow that all away and have to sit through another Vista install for no reason.

8. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

You only need to call after a certain number of activations for each key. I install windows a lot, at work, and have had to call very few times. And I know I've used some of these keys a few times. I'm not sure about Vista though. I've only installed the Vista keys once.