Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Building a feature like this into an operating system requires some internal changes:

1. Assumptions in Quartz about aspect ratios being bigger on the left than on the right (as an example, a typical (landscape) CRT aspect ratio is 4:3) need to be eliminated.
2. The graphics drivers Apple ships will need to be tweaked to be compatible with change #1.
3. The Monitors pane of System Preferences needs major revisions to allow access to all the possibilities such a feature opens up.

Once all of those are in place, the only things preventing this feature from being used are whether or not the monitor supports rotation and whether or not it is physically stable when rotated.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Should be, Nvidia and ATI drivers for Windows have supported this with any monitor for a while.

Ahh, finally I'll be able to hang my display upside down ;P

(seriously though, this guy I know has his display hanging above his desk upside down with it's base tied to the bottom of the bed - and I'd like to try it to free some deskspace.)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
7on said:
Should be, Nvidia and ATI drivers for Windows have supported this with any monitor for a while.

Ahh, finally I'll be able to hang my display upside down ;P

(seriously though, this guy I know has his display hanging above his desk upside down with it's base tied to the bottom of the bed - and I'd like to try it to free some deskspace.)

Heh that actually sounds cool...

As for the thread, about time! Windows (through nVidia/ATI drivers) supported this for ages. About time for OS X to get this.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
This sounds good. I've been contemplating getting a Dell LCD which pivots, and I'd like to be able to use that feature in OS X. The el' cheapo wintel boxes at work do this easily, and it's been bothering me that my Mac can't do the same.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
The big question is if it's autosensing. Back in the Classic Mac OS days, if you had a pivoting monitor, the pivot would automatically be detected and the screen would change to reflect the pivot. I don't have a pivoting display, otherwise I'd test it out. Any developer out there that can?
-Chase

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
As far as auto-sensing goes, the display would have to tell the computer that it was rotated. I don't think most pivoting displays have a built-in sensor to accomplish this.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
MoparShaha said:
As far as auto-sensing goes, the display would have to tell the computer that it was rotated. I don't think most pivoting displays have a built-in sensor to accomplish this.
or the computer can remember such and such display was or wasnt rotated but it would cause probs if you had 2 identical ones and only wanted one tilted still its better than no auto sensing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.