Tiger / Cisco VPN 4.9.01.* routes everything thru VPN? WTF?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mickeys, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mickeys macrumors newbie

An acquaintance uses Cisco VPN 4.9.01.0080 (under Tiger, on a G4 PB) to connect to his office. If he's got Adium or an RSS feed already established all continues well (with those connections) after he fires up the VPN. However, he loses the ability to visit websites (through the cafe's WiFi).

Is there a way to tell the Cisco VPN client to route *only* his office traffic (email, build machines, shared volumes, etc.) through the VPN?

I've pointed him to the .0100 build, and suggested he rattle Cisco's cage with this question, but I'm betting I get a definitive answer before he does.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

You have to enable split tunneling on the VPN Server side. Even then it seemingly doesn't always work (or in my case that is). This is also assuming the device they use supports it.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

99.99999% of VPN systems capture all traffic on your system. At a former job, I had to use a VPN to work on projects at a clients system, and it kept me off the 'regular' internet, as a result, I had to bring my laptop in to work with me to check my email, even my work email.

This is the entire point of VPN. TO integrate your system outside of a network, into the network.

TEG

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That was explained to me as well--a lot of places are reluctant to allow split tunnelling because it creates a potential security risk (someone comes into your computer from the net and back out through the VPN tunnel). Seems unlikely, but if you're VPN'd all day, I could see that getting risky.