Tiger Disc Not Reading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bcp, Jul 1, 2008.

1. bcp macrumors newbie

Good Morning,

Slight issue with my tiger dvd. it will read on other mac's just not my emac. I am able to watch dvd's and record/play cd's. I purchased the machine two months ago and I want to do a fresh install and remove the partition and OS9. Is there a tip trick I am missing? The disc will install/read on my buddies macbook so it should work? Thanks for any help with this issue.

brian

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

That is certainly interesting, you might have to get your hands on an external drive and do it from there.

My powerbook used to read Dual Layer DVD discs...but not anymore. Don't know why but it hasn't for a LONG time now.

3. Jiff Lemon macrumors member

4. bcp thread starter macrumors newbie

I am such a newbie to this site and macs in general I dont know what Target is. I am still trying to figure out automater....

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

IIRC there is no x86 (or Universal Binary) Retail version of Tiger (only the "restore" DVD's) ... so I doubt it will actually install/boot on a MacBook... :confused:

The Retail version of Tiger is PPC only, so that should be ok with your eMac though. Are your sure it is a genuine DVD, and not a copy? Older optical drives tend to have more problems with burned CD/DVD's.

6. bcp thread starter macrumors newbie

The disc is the install dvd version 10.4. The disc sure does look like the original. Has all the proper wording on the inside covers and backside and the disc appears to be genuine. My emac will not even recognize the disc on the desktop. My buddy is crazy computer guy and he opened up a window on his macbook and the disc started to install and what not from there.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It this disk is a Retail version of Tiger (aka Mac OS X 10.4.x), then it surely is PowerPC only. An Intel-based Mac, like a MacBook cannot boot/install from it.. :confused:
    You need a G3 / G4 based Mac to be able to use the Retail version of Tiger (i.e. that black DVD with a big silver-coloured "X" on it)

You are sure it is not some "restore-Tiger" DVD belonging to another Mac? Those usually are grey, and these can be used for Intel-based Macs.

8. bcp thread starter macrumors newbie

It is indeed that black DVD with a big silver-colored X on it. Even has the little apple on top of the silver X. Includes Xcode2 Install DVD Version 10.4 Im almost 100 percent sure it is the retail copy.

9. bcp thread starter macrumors newbie

On a whim I put the disc in and it read. Nice. I access it and try to do a fresh install. The DVD reboots the machine and now my emac says the disc is unreadable and shows up as a blank CDR. I traded an older scratched up DVD and it played very well. Not so much for the Tiger DVD. Now Im really confused....:confused: