Tiger Housekeeping

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thebadger, Sep 11, 2007.

1. thebadger macrumors newbie

Hi,

I jumped ship from PC and I bought a MacBook at the beginning of this year. I have had no problems with it so far but I am wondering whether I should be doing some regular housekeeping within Tiger to maintain the system's performance.

With a PC I defragged the system, deleted temp files and ran programs that helped to keep everything together. Should I also be doing this in Tiger?? Should I be repairing "Permissions"?? Is there a defragg prog? Or am I OK plodding on as I am?

Also I have File Vault running, is this essential? As I don't Shut Down my MacBook that often (usually put it to sleep) is it actually making a difference? Does it back up my files??

Any advice would be of great help. The more the merrier.

Cheers

TheBadger.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Defragging is far less important on a UNIX box than under Windows. In most cases you can leave the system to looking after the hard disk, with a quick repair permissions after any installations or updates to keep things in line. Tiger also has a number of automated jobs that clean up after you. They should run themselves quite happily in the background anyway, but if you do want to manually go for it, open up a Terminal and type

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

You should also clear out your browser cache occasionally.

Apart from that, you can pretty much leave it to it.

3. thebadger thread starter macrumors newbie

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Filevault doesn't back up. All it does is encrypt your personal files. People have reported of lost data if the laptop crashs or turns off unexpectedly.

It does keep your files secure though, but i would not turn it on myself.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Terminal.app, it's in your /Applications/Utilities folder

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I would recommend a freeware program called ONYX. Its excellent. I have used it on all my macs without a problem.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its similar to the Windows command line.

8. thebadger thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I get you.

Do I need to worry about repairing Permissions?? If so, how often do I do it?

What does ONYX do??

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I often find that you learn things faster and better if you do your own homework.

Why not google osx onyx and read it up for yourself. You could have done the same thing by googling osx and terminal.

10. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

11. thebadger thread starter macrumors newbie

No doubt I will at some point, but it is always good to get different views and opinions.