tiger "install failed"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BillOwnz, Aug 19, 2009.

1. BillOwnz macrumors newbie

A friend of mine somehow ruined his iMac’s operating system (tiger) and tried to fresh format his hardrive. He told me that every time he would attempt to install, it would say “install failed” and he would have to restart.
    I couldn’t imagine what he was doing wrong, so I attemped to install tiger on his iMac. OSX failed to install with “erase and install” so I ran disk utility and attempted repair with “failure to unmount”. I also tried erase via disk utility using various formating (journaled ect)

How would I be able to install tiger without error? Im not exactly sure why the installer fails, im assuming it is something on the hardrive that is preventing install. I don’t think it’s the disk because the installation disk check proceded and gave no errors.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What are the specs of the machine?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

im sorry that this is late....

The same thing happened with my MacBook and it turns out that the CD drive is a dud.

The only thing that made it work was to put in the install CDs and do a Bare system install (only install the OS, no ilife or printer drivers.etc) and that worked.