Tiger install (no dvd drive or Firewire!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andy.barron, Oct 12, 2007.

1. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Hi All.

I am wondering, is it possible to install Tiger on an old G3 clam iBook? It has no dvd drive or firewire ports, so target disk is not possible? Or can this be done with an Ethernet cable (crossover?)

Is this a worthwile upgrade from Tiger or will I just lose a bit more hard disk space?

If anybody knows the machine well, I also have a problem getting a charge to the battery. I have tried two different ones but it remains at 0%. It will only work with a power cable plugged in.

Thanks for any comments guys:)

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Tiger on a clamshell....oooooh

hmmm...i think it's too old to take advantage of Tiger...sorry (IMHO)

but as far as i know...u can only run Tiger via firewire (hence the system requirement for it), not USB

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

i can boot tiger from a USB disk. I am on an intel mac though, and the usb disk also has a firewire port. Isnt one of the minimum specs of tiger, a computer with firewire port?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And a DVD drive for the current retail box.

You had to call Apple for the CD version of the OS through the $10 media exchange program, though I don't know if they still supply them.

5. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

A few options, though I can't guarantee that any of them will work:

Remove the HDD and install it in a machine that has a dvd drive.

Partition the HDD, clone the installer to one of the partitions, install OSX on the other (which will leave you with a partitioned HDD, though).

Search online for a walkthrough for installing via ethernet network; I know they exist, but a quick google showed that it'll be a little work to find it.

Try an external DVD drive (or, for that matter, cloning the install disc to an 8gb flash RAM dongle)--probably won't work, though, since I don't think you can boot from USB on that machine.

You may need to use XPostFacto, which may cause problems with any of the solutions above (especially the removing the HDD option); XPostFacto may be necessary because Tiger requires a G3 with Firewire as a minimum requirement, so technically your laptop isn't supported; doesn't mean it won't work, just means that if it doesn't it's not a shock.

Borrow a DVD drive and use it (or pick one up on the relative cheap).

Otherwise, the $10 and your Tiger serial will get you the CD version. Good luck!

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This will work on a supported system, but as mentioned you'll probably need to combine it with XPostFacto on an old iBook.