Tiger install on Emac has stopped.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EnZed Mac, Jul 27, 2008.

1. EnZed Mac macrumors newbie

I am trying to reinstall OS X 10.4 Tiger on an Emac 1ghz that I've bought for the purpose of getting to know Macs. The install is an "Archive and Install". The reason for doing so is, the previous owner left a lot of his personal data and other items (including sensitive material) on the system. I thought the best way was to re-install as I was tired of constantly finding more of his stuff all the time, obviously, if I was experienced on Macs I would have no problems sorting this out.

He had told me that the disks for Tiger were included but it turns out they are Panther disks so I have bought some Tiger disks and believe (hope) I have bought the correct ones. He had actually used borrowed disks to install Tiger. He also had told me a program called Sound Studio 3 was on the system and in answer to my question confirmed that it was part of Tiger! That was lost when I removed his profile. Needless to say he and I won't be doing any further business.

Perhaps I might have been better to have done an "Erase and Install" but, I didn't, and now I have an install that has been stall for several hours and I don't know how to proceed from here. Can I abort and start again and if yes, how?

The screen currently shows:-

Installing Mac OS X

then in the progress pane:-

Installing 2005 World Book
    Writing files: 99% Completed
    Time Remaining: About 25 minutes

as mentioned earlier it has been at this point for several hours.

If this situation is retrievable I will appreciate advice as to whether I should do a complete re-format and install, retrieve the achieved install (how?), or?

I have searched the forums and not found an answer, have tried to be clear and accurate, have, hopefully used correct Mac terminology and I wish to say that, as a new to Mac member I appreciate the time and effort by others to help people like myself.

Thanks.

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

shut system down, and restart and hold C down. When computer boots up off of disk do a complete erase and install.

(Sound Studio 3 was on the system and in answer to my question confirmed that it was part of Tiger!)

Sound Studio 3 is NOT part of Tiger!!!

It is a whole separate program and is not on Tiger install disks.

--Eric

3. EnZed Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Eric. Happily, now all up and running, fully updated and the previously missing help files are also there.

When I had deleted the previous owners profile from the old set-up and saw that Sound Studio had gone I realised that he had lied but, that's life. I have managed to get a 20% refund and will just move on.

I'm very happy with my eMac inspite of his underhand behaviour and am looking forward to learning a lot more about it.

One of my reasons for getting a Mac is because I have hundreds of LP records to rip so any recommendations for suitable Mac software for this purpose will be appreciated but I do a posting later on for that.

Thanks again.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Why someone would leave their personal data on a machine they plan to sell is confusing. :confused: If it were me selling the eMac, I would have zeroed the hard drive and put a fresh install. I remember having Sound Studio 2 on my eMac but I wasn't sure if that came with iLife or a friend I loaned it to put it on there. Besides, I prefer Audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ it's free :)

5. EnZed Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you KingYaba. Would you believe 1276 photos, hundreds of emails and then there were the passwords, yes, I mean passwords. I could have been getting free internet now.

He told me he thought he had deleted eveyrthing. :rolleyes:

When I challenged him about the missing Tiger disks and I said I wanted them in case I ever had a HD failure, he told me that he had been working with Macs for 20 years and had never had a HD failure. Twenty years does not mean that I has learnt anything.

Thank you for the recommendation on Audacity.

Cheers.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba