Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
So, I've been trying to get this installed all night. I'm running Mac OS 10.39, and I go to install Tiger. The first time through, I simply try an UPGRADE. Everything moves along swimmingly until it finishes and I reboot. That's where the headaches begin.

The Mac starts up by showing the Apple logo as usual. Then the SPINNER appears underneath the Apple logo. That goes for about 1 minute, then... the Apple logo changes to a circle with a slash through it (similar to the iPod "do not disconnect" symbol). WTF? Clearly that's not good, right?

The spinner is still going below, so I let it sit for a while, thinking a message will appear at some point. No such luck. The Mac has nothing more to say to me. It's now ruined my startup disk, because the previous version of the OS is now unuseable. Nice. I don't have a huge amount of disk space to begin with, as I'm ONLY installing Tiger to eliminate an ongoing string of Panther incompatibilities that makes it hard for me to use my Mac to use new software (hence the lack of a backup to start). I cleared OVER the required 3GB however, so I'm not sure why its failing me now. I even tried waiting it out... (maybe the crossed-circle didn't mean anything other than "don't reboot"). After about 8-10 hours of waiting, I think its clear its not really DOING anything, even though the spinner is going.

I have a couple of other working system folders however, including an OS 10.34. So, I've switched the startup volume by booting of the CD and using Startup Disk. I've even shuffled things around, freed up another 3GB and chose the second "custom" install option, choosing to move the previous system into a NEW folder, copying the settings, and doing a clean install.

My new option seems to be going whole hog, and using the 3RD option, and doing a reformat and re-install. I can't do this on the disk I've BEEN using however, as it has too much else on it. The OTHER System folder device however (10.34) is ripe however (though I'd need to go back and blow away the newly installed unworking system to move a few gigs of content over). At this point, I'm going to start backing things up to DVD and giving all of this more room to breath. The 10.34 system is on my ORIGINAL 10 GB hard disk however, so reformatting and re-installing on that may go over better. I don't know. If I do that though, its possible I might not have another workeable Mac OS X system after that.

I've read recommendations that I take some time, buy "Disk Warrior" and run it on my hard drive for what I hear takes 15 hours. As this would cost me an additional $99 and might not even work, I'm reluctant. Here I am though... tried to upgrade, did everything I was asked to... and now I'm STUCK with a busted system (all my software installs and settings are on the non-working System that is, I'm not completely hosed YET). I've cleared my PRAM, rebooted on the CD and ran permissions repair as well.

Boy, I sure wished this "just worked".

Any ideas?

~ CB

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
I didn't catch what machine you were using.

But, if it were me, I'd go buy a 60 dollar hard drive from BestBuy, put it in the machine and install to it and get the OS running. Then, if you have room, put in the old on. If not, put it in an external enclosure and get your stuff off it like that.

What machine are you doing this on?

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I didn't catch what machine you were using.

But, if it were me, I'd go buy a 60 dollar hard drive from BestBuy, put it in the machine and install to it and get the OS running. Then, if you have room, put in the old on. If not, put it in an external enclosure and get your stuff off it like that.

What machine are you doing this on?

G4 Tower (Sawtooth). Thanks, I think that's rapidly becoming the plan. I'm out having lunch while its wiping my original drive for a clean install. Eesh. The waiting is murder.

~ CB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.