Tiger is a paw name

ump3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2003
I think Apple have gone 1 OS too many with the cat thing. Tiger is a very poor name, Panther seems a little more acceptable but not much. It's like they are just naming them after cats so they can use phrases like 'unleashed' (not that cats are ever leashed). Lion would've been better than Tiger then they could've called it 'The King of the Operating Systems'. They've got me at it now!! :D

ump3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2003
edesignuk said:
er....ok....

Tiger seems better to me than Lion, but each to his/hers own.
I don't think Lion is a good name. I think naming it after any cat is silly, I think Apple have taken it too far, but they couldn't very well change it now (not until OS 11 anyway). Tiger makes me think of Frosties or Esso, Tigger from Winnie the Pooh the list goes on. Tigers are beautiful creatures, probably the most beautiful.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I was just joking around with my first post but I actually kind of agree with you. I don't have a problem with 10.4 being named after a cat again though. I just think it's a little bit of a let-down having a Tiger after Panther. Panthers are so exotic and beautiful but Tigers are just mainstream and even a little boring. Interestingly though, I think it's almost unintentionally an indication of the progress of each OS. Panthers are the coolest of the Mac Cats and 10.3 was (IMO) the best upgrade over a previous system. That's not to say that 10.4 isn't as good. Don't get me wrong, I prefer 10.4, but it isn't as much of a leap over 10.3 as 10.3 was over 10.2 IMO.

ump3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2003
jsalzer said:
Actually, I'm felix much better meow.
Right!! I’m not going to pussyfoot about. I know I put the cat amongst the pigeons with my post I’d be lion if I said it wasn’t my intention. Don't make me have to get my cat o’nine tails out (They’re Grrrrrrreat!). This is deleopardating into something quite unpleasant I’m losing my sense of Puma. You can call me a lot of things but I AM NOT a Cheetah!

Anyway, I tigress. thats my lot (My Ocelott) :D :D :D

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Forgive the lack of puns

I just had a bad thought.

OSX 10.5 - Black Cat - with systemwide spell checking.

(You know, witches and all.) :)

</Lack of puns>

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
The pun is diabolical, but I agree with the point - Tiger is a poor name.

They've now used Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger. For me, the only actual "good" cat name left is Cougar. So we have some pretty poor names coming up, I think.

Mac OS X Lion sounds nothing short of painful.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
ump3 said:
Tiger makes me think of Frosties or Esso, Tigger from Winnie the Pooh the list goes on.
You need to thing seriously about your life man! :p
I like Tiger, if you know anything about the animals you'll know they are BAD MOFOs! These guys are maybe the pinnacle of predators (I have to admit Jaguars in action are AMAZING also- when you see them literally RUN up a tree trunk, clutching an animal that's heavier than them in their jaws - wow!).

What would you prefer? not to have code names maybe? so it's just 10.4? Not too catchy eh?

Tiger still beats the crap out of Longhorn!

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
thequicksilver said:
The pun is diabolical, but I agree with the point - Tiger is a poor name.

They've now used Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger. For me, the only actual "good" cat name left is Cougar. So we have some pretty poor names coming up, I think.

Mac OS X Lion sounds nothing short of painful.
Not true!
look here for all of the wild cat species!
Caracal is good, as is leopard, and what about Margay? :D :D

So many options! I go for Caracal first! (After cougar!)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
mad jew said:
Yeah, I was just joking around with my first post but I actually kind of agree with you. I don't have a problem with 10.4 being named after a cat again though. I just think it's a little bit of a let-down having a Tiger after Panther. Panthers are so exotic and beautiful but Tigers are just mainstream and even a little boring. Interestingly though, I think it's almost unintentionally an indication of the progress of each OS. Panthers are the coolest of the Mac Cats and 10.3 was (IMO) the best upgrade over a previous system. That's not to say that 10.4 isn't as good. Don't get me wrong, I prefer 10.4, but it isn't as much of a leap over 10.3 as 10.3 was over 10.2 IMO.

I think tigers are exotic, although not that exotic from that club down the street :p ;)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
"Jagwire" was my favorite Mac OS name. I wish I could have been in the audience when Steve announced it. Everyone looking around at each other in shock. None of the Apple employees would dare to correct Steve.

Any name is better than Mac OS X 10.4. Sounds like the 4th service pack of the original version.