Tiger/Leopard Restore Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superman4388, Jul 1, 2009.

1. superman4388 macrumors member

I have leopard installed on my mac, but my brother currently has my install disc and he lives a couple hours away. I have my old Tiger disc that came with my mac at my house.

I have everything backed up using time machine and would like to be able to reformat my internal HD. Can I boot up with the Tiger disc, run disc utility, and restore from the time machine file?

And when i do, i'll have leopard running no problem?

Or do i need the leopard disc?

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'd have to say just give it a go. There should be no issue booking from the Tiger discs and getting to Disk Utility. I've never gone through a Time Machine restore process so not sure if there would be any issues there, but I doubt it would hurt to try. As long as you don't choose to install Tiger you'll keep your Leopard.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Leopard was the first version of OS X to have Time Machine, so I'm personally not sure if installing Tiger and trying to restore from there may help...but I could be wrong...

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You will not be able to restore Leopard from Time Machine using Tiger boot disks (since Tiger is not Time-Machine-aware). You'll need the Leopard boot disk. (And this is one of the cases for a bootable clone drive).