Tiger > Leopard > SL upgrade confusion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sphoenix, Aug 26, 2009.

1. sphoenix macrumors regular

Apr 5, 2008
    So basically the plan is to have SL running on my Mac the day it's released.

To do this, I upgraded to Leopard this morning. However, having backed up all my data - I was ready for the erase-and-install option but this didn't come up at any point during the installation. 10.5 installed normally and my files are still here, but I did want a fresh install of 10.5!

I've tried booting up the installation disc to re-install but the Mac just kicks it back out after playing with it for a few seconds in the drive.

I need to know if there's a way to erase Leopard and reinstall it. My other option is to wait until Friday and perform the erase-and-install with SL (if that's possible).

Any advice is appreciated.
  2. zerostar macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2008
    South Florida
    Sorry Snow Leopard (10.6) will allow you to either Upgrade or to Erase and Install it on a FULLY ERASED drive. There is no Archive & Install.

So your options are:

1) get your 10.5 DVD booting... clean it maybe? or d/l a new copy offline? Then you can Archive & Install, Clean Install or whatever you like.

2) Wait for SL 10.6 DVD and do an erase & install it or upgrade it.

I have upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5 now to 10.6 (today) and I have had no problems AT ALL... but I run a very clean system and keep all installer logs incase I have to track down something later on.
  3. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Just to clarify, it's actually the "Upgrade" option that has gone the way of the dodo, though Apple's just playing name games here. The Archive and Option from previous versions is now the default, and you won't be presented with these installation options at all, just the option to customize the installation. Disk Utility will allow you to do an Erase and Install, so that it's not as easy to accidently choose (can't imagine many people would do that, but apparently they do).

I would recommend checking your facts before you post, btw. We don't know yet if Snow Leopard will install onto a blank drive, for instance, though it's my personal opinion it will (see that right there, personal opinion clearly noted?).

4. sphoenix thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 5, 2008
    Alright, cheers for the advice guys. Looks like my Superdrive is being a b*tch and won't even load up the Leopard installation DVD anymore. The 2 options you listed won't even be possible until I get the drive working again.

And this Mac is barely 3 years old...