Tiger - Leopard upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pandabearjohnso, Mar 22, 2010.

1. pandabearjohnso macrumors member

pandabearjohnso

I have two Macs running 10.4.11 (see signature) that I want to upgrade to 10.5 on both machines. My question is this: Is it worth getting a family pack license for 10.5? The G4 has a Power PC processor so I can't install fresh from a Leopard install DVD (if I understand correctly). However the MacBook Pro has an Intel processor so I can install directly from Leopard DVD.

I am really confused about this. :confused: Do I need need an upgrade disc for the PPC? It is my understanding that this doesn't exist.

Also, I want to upgrade iLife. I am still running the original iLife that came with both machines. Does iLife come bundled with the Leopard OS? or do I need to purchase iLife separately. :confused:

I am sure this has been already covered at length in these forums, but I can't seem to find the info I need.

Thanks

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

10.5 will install on a PPC Mac. How much RAM does it have?

Wait, I said no at first, but I was thinking iWork. I think iLife is included, but I'm not 100% sure. I have iLife, but I bought the computer after Leopard came out. I only received a 30-day trial of iWork.

3. pandabearjohnso thread starter macrumors member

pandabearjohnso

The PPC has 1.5 GB of RAM which is max for the 12" PB G4.

4. 2Sunny macrumors member

Just one opinion, but . . .

I just upgraded from Tiger to Leopard on my 20 inch iMac with an Intel 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo chip and 3 GB of RAM. My machine is now an absolute dog and I am planning on a clean reinstall of Tiger today to take my machine back to its speedy former self. My personal recommendation is: Save yourself the hassle and buy a new machine if you really want the newest software.

Anyways, just one opinion from someone who just did what you are thinking of doing.

Good-luck either way!

P.S. It is my understanding that Leopard is installable on the G4 from the same "Family Pack" disc you would use on your MacBook so long as it is an 867Hz chip or higher which yours is, and iLife is NOT included in Leopard.

5. DSPalpatine macrumors member

As perhaps a second, different data point, I have had no issues with Leopard on my G5 iMac. As long as Leopard has enough RAM to breath, you should be fine with your Intel iMac. As for the PB, I'm not as sure regarding that one. When I gave my cousin my old iBook (1.33 GHz G4), I didn't like how it felt with Leopard, and ended up rolling it back to Tiger before I gave it to her. She's had no complaints as Safari, iTunes and Firefox all continue to be supported, at least for now.

To second what 2Sunny said, iLife does not come bundled. However, Apple sold a 'value pack' of Leopard, iLife '09 and iWork 09 in both single license and family pack versions. Keep an eye out for that, as it might be the best value for your money.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would not buy the Leopard family pack.

It would be cheaper to get a single Leopard license for the G4 and a single Snow Leopard license ($30) for the Macbook Pro. Or better yet get the single Leopard license for the Powerbook and buy the Snow Leopard Family pack ($50) for your Mini and Macbook Pro.

Though for the G4 unless you absolutely must have 10.5 Leopard I would just skip it given how much it lists for on Amazon and eBay ($135+ for single and $200+ for the family pack) and continue using it as is until it is useless for your needs, given how few Leopard only programs are not Intel only as well. I have not tracked the bids for used copies on eBay, which may be a lot cheaper, just be sure to not get the Grey discs.

As far as skipping Leopard and going straight to Snow Leopard it is fine. Looking at my Snow Leopard box it does not say anywhere that it is an upgrade it say retail. The requirements section also makes no mention of Leopard for an upgrade, just an Intel Mac with 1GB RAM and 5GB hard drive. So it is a full retail install not just a Leopard upgrade.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's 1GB more than the minimum required, but only .5GB more than I would recommend, based on things I've read as a daily visitor on this and other forums.

But, where do you think you'll be buying a Leopard Family Pack? The Apple Store will not carry it, and the online store will not have it listed for sale either. A few weeks ago, I saw a post about getting the single-license Leopard retail disc by calling Apple (the online store's toll free number). This person had just ordered it for $80 US.

8. pandabearjohnso thread starter macrumors member

pandabearjohnso

maybe I'm not dedicating enough brain power to this...

OK..here is a family pack on eBay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MAC-OS-X-LEOPAR...ultDomain_0?hash=item563ab8d2b3#ht_1993wt_941

from what the seller says (and from what I read from the posts) I should be able to install this OS on both the Intel Mac and the PPC G4 (1.25GHz) Mac and it should work on both. And I'll have three installs left. But it doesn't include iWork or iLife.

Anyone else see it like this.

Thanks again. Limited processing power here!;)

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Why don't you want snow leopard for the Macbook Pro?

As I said in my previous post. A single (10.5) Leopard license for the G4 and a single (10.6) Snow Leopard license for the Macbook Pro would be cheaper than the family pack of (10.5) Leopard. Heck single Leopard plus Family Pack Snow Leopard would be cheaper than family pack Leopard.

10. pandabearjohnso thread starter macrumors member

pandabearjohnso

VelocityG4 - thanks for the input and excuse me if I am being thick, but...
    a quick eBay search shows a Leopard OS (not including iLife/iWork) is about $165. A Snow Leopard OS (not including iLife/iWork) is any where from $30-$60. So lets say about $200 for both. I find the 5 user Leopard/iLife/iWork combo for any where from $165 - $215. So that seems like the best option.

Granted a 5 user bundle of Snow Leopard/iLife/iWork can be had for as little as $150 (heck of a deal) but that still leaves my sad old G4 running (unsupported) Tiger.

If I could find cheaper version of Leopard I think you are right, but from what I have read in this forum they are few and far between.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I was looking at the auction you linked of Leopard (no iLife or iWork for $189). Versus Snow leopard $30 to $60 (depending on family or single) plus single Leopard $120.

Though personally I would not buy Leopard for the G4 as any software that will not run in Tiger will likely be Intel only or be painfully slow on a G4.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You didn't read this... ???

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I didn't pay attention to this part of the post until Gregg2 quoted it.

Be sure you are looking at the Leopard family pack with iWork and iLife. On an eBay search all I can find at that price point is a Snow Leopard family pack with iWork and iLife. Even though the heading just says Leopard the actual retail box pictured and item being sold is Snow Leopard. Here is the auction.

Here is a full list of the best prices I could find on eBay or are standard retail.

Snow Leopard Family with iWork and iLife - $120 to $130 (actual retail is $170)
    Snow Leopard Family - $50 (retail)
    Snow Leopard Single - $30 (retail)

Leopard Family with iLife/iWork - $240 to $290 (none actually found, estimated from difference in price Snow Leopard Family and the bundle then applied to the Leopard Family prices)
    Leopard Single with iLife/iWork 09 - $175 (only one seller)
    Leopard Family - $160 to $210
    Leopard Single - $130

iLife 09 Family pack - $60 (retails at $100 but many eBay sellers have a $60 price, I just mentioned this since I would skip iWork entirely as I found the free Openoffice.org to be a more feature rich product with better support for Word and Excel)

Given the best possible scenario I could find
    Leopard Family with iLife/iWork 09 - $240

or

Snow Leopard Family with iWork/iLife - $120
    plus Leopard Single - $130
    Total $250

I would choose to spend the extra $10 and have the Macbook Pro and Mac Mini running Snow Leopard with the Powerbook on Leopard rather than have all on Leopard.

If you can actually find a copy of Leopard Family with iWork and iLife for $165 go for it. You should also note that iMovie 09 requires a G5 or better.