Tiger on a G3 333MHz iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lamina, Aug 15, 2007.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

My friend just acquired a G3 iMac. It's got a G3 at 333MHz with 128mb of RAM. Think Tiger will run? If not, where can I get Panther?

Is there a way for me to boot from my USB hard drive with an install image on it, and install directly to the iMac? I've done it with my PowerBook, but I'm wondering if it will work the same for the iMac.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

PS: No FireWire.

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Get Panther. You can't "offically" install Tiger on Tray-loaders, and for a good reason.. You'd probably throw it across the room.

And as for the External Hard Drive, you mays well not even bother because it's USB 1.0. That'd be like trying to download pr0n on dial-up..

You can find Panther on eBay for really cheap.. it'd be pretty expensive anywhere else.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I thought no PPC Mac could boot from USB...?
    Did your PowerBook boot from a USB drive, or maybe FireWire?

But, Tiger needs:
    There is a CD version of Tiger out there, but I'm not sure you can boot your iMac from it.

Try to get Panther from eBay orso, that would be the cheapest bet.

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

If the RAM gets an upgrade to at least 256mb it will run OK.as in usable.
    I had it on my Bondi blue imac until I put ubuntu on it and breathed new life into an old machine.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

6. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Personally I think you should max out the RAM and go right to Panther. Tiger will be a dog.

7. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Having run both Panther and Tiger on a similar era computer, I can say that there was for me no noticeable difference in performance between Panther and Tiger--both were slow as molasses.

8. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Hmmm... well I've only run Panther on a 333 mHz Mac and it was certainly like molasses, so I guess I assumed Tiger would be even worse. Thanks for the clarification!

9. pmartin macrumors regular

If you do run Tiger, search for an install DisableTigerFeatures to disable Spotlight and Dashboard, that should speed things up at least a little, but in all honesty, that machine will not run any form of OS X acceptable as it is now. You definitely need to upgrade the RAM, and even then it will be a really poor experience.

10. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

My 333 mHz G3 Powerbook (Lombard) did a decent job with 10.3 all things considered. I was even able to do some photoshop CS work on the road. Not fast by any stretch, but respectable for a 7.5 year old machine!

But yeah, max out that RAM.

11. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Well, I bought Panther from a local Apple reseller for cheap, and it's running great on this G3. I can't believe it!

Aside from no Dashboard or Spotlight, this is just like Tiger. What an amazing OS. I'm very pleased, even with the 160MB of RAM.

Thanks for the advice.