Tiger on a Glass iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spinal, May 14, 2008.

1. Spinal macrumors newbie

I work for an compnay that uses Apple hardware and software, and we currently have about 700 Apple computers (running 10.4.11 atm).

We've ordered some Aluminum/Glass iMacs - problem is, they come with 10.5; and our tests have led us to conclude that we don't feel that Leopard is quite ready yet to be deployed on a larger scale.

We were told we could load 10.4 on these, but, after a bit of research, found out that we need to get an OEM disk that came with the Aluminum/Glass iMacs when they were first released (before Leopard came out). I'm told these disks have 10.4.10 or 10.4.11 on them....

Problem is, I can't find these disks anywhere! Any ideas where I can find one?

TIA,
    Michele

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Join the club. IMO this is the biggest mistake Apple make - forcing everyone to run the latest version of OS X on new Macs. If they stopped this idiotic practice they'd sell much more hardware to business customers. As it stands I know lots of companies who are simply not buying new Macs as they need to stick with Tiger for now. It's one reason you see loads of old G4s still in use - it's not that they last so much longer but companies cannot upgrade as it forces them to run Leopard which still has too many bugs and software incompatibilities.

It isn't too much to ask to support the current and one previous version of OS X on the latest hardware :rolleyes:

3. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

BTW call Apple and they should send you the Tiger disks for your iMacs, if they're models that support it.

4. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

I bought my Aluminum iMac before the 10.5 release and like a dummy I installed 10.5 when it came out. I was a dummy because none of my professional music software played nicely with 10.5.

So what was my dilemma? Well my new iMac did not ship with a OEM disc and I couldn't downgrade. So after a few calls to tech support (i usually average at least 3 calls before someone can actually help) I was told that they would send me a no frills 10.4 disc in an envelope. After 2 weeks of waiting it finally came and my life was back to normal.