Tiger or Leopard for Pismo G3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, May 15, 2009.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have an old Pismo (in perfect shape) and plan to give it to my sister who has given up on computers due to having used PCs and mainframes at work.

What do you suggest as the system of choice for the PB, Tiger or Leopard?
    Or should I even look at Panther?

She will use it using a modem not broadband etc so it fits her needs perfectly and then for some photo editing and storage.

Thanks

2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Leopard isn't officially supported on a Pismo. With a G3 Powerbook, I'd use Tiger. This version runs pretty well on G3's.

3. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Korovka macrumors member

Korovka

10.4 is the best choice, I believe. 10.3 may run slower.

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I assume it hasn't been upgraded to a G4, and if it hasn't, leopard isn't an option. Tiger is the best bet for compatibility, but if you really want raw speed, I'd go with Panther (only problem - not many apps are made for panther anymore).

6. molala macrumors 6502a

Mine is running quite happily with Panther (10.3). But previous poster is right, you can't run the latest software, for instance you would use an older version of Safari and Firefox. But this may be fine for her needs.

7. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I'd go for 10.4.11... though you also might wanna consider upgrading it to a faster G4 processor.

8. Macdctr macrumors regular

I ran Panther on my G3 Pismo and then upgraded it to Tiger. I haven't had any issues with my Pismo but I am running with 1GB ram and using a 120GB hard drive. I recently upgraded my 500Mhz G3 processor with a G4/550 and a dual layer 8X DVD slot drive and so far everything has been stable. I am able to do everything that my MBP does with some limitations,however for internet surfing and such the Pismo is a great machine....I still use my pismo today....:apple: