Tiger or Leopard for PPC work enviornment?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by goodcow, Jul 30, 2008.

1. goodcow macrumors 6502a

For a work environment running PPCs, specifically dual-core 1.8 GHz G5's, which will also be connecting to Windows servers frequently, which way do you think is more reliable to go, Tiger or Leopard?

The Marketing dept. at work is running 10.3 now and plans on upgrading to Leopard, but I'm really thinking they should upgrade to Tiger instead. In my dept. we have a mix of PPC and Intel boxes running Leopard, and Leopard on PPC just seems to be a lot less stable, particularly when it comes to networking. Plus, their machines are getting long in the tooth, so Tiger should run a lot better on them.

Any thoughts?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I have a G4 Powerbook with Leopard and I think it runs just as fast or faster as when Tiger was installed. I don't do any networking with Windows boxes so I don't know how the two compare. From a speed perspective I think Leopard is a good choice.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm a Apple Systems Admin, Leopard is a lot more network friendly. I've upgraded some people to Leopard because Tiger can be a little flakey with network shares (Plus Leopard doesn't hang when disconnecting network connections).

4. goodcow thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not an Apple Systems Admin, but my setup at work is:

8-core MacPro with two-2TB G-RAID drives via firewire 800, with file sharing enabled
    Two, quad-core G5s which auto-mount the G-RAID at boot because all our video projects are on them

Final Cut Pro has kernel panicked numerous times while accessing data off the G-RAIDs. The G-RAIDs sometimes disappear, forcing a reboot of the PPC machines while they work fine on the MacPro.

Then again, Leopard kernel panicked on the MacPro today. I was in a Vista computer share listing, a co-worker created a new share, I drilled up one level and drilled down again to see the new list of shares and bam, kernel panic.

Leopard's networking stability sucks compared to Windows.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It sure does, but it's better than Tiger.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It might be worthwhile doing a bit of research and checking out if there are any compatibility issues with the software you use, when used across a network on Leopard.

Case in point, we got a couple of new macs with Leopard pre-installed and this threw up had a couple of issues with the older version of Quark we run when it came to working on files stored on our server. The rest of the studio though – all running Tiger in both PPC and Intel flavours – had no such difficulties.