Tiger or Leopard on iMac 1.83 CD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kap09, Jul 11, 2009.

1. kap09 macrumors 6502

After upgrading recently to a MBP, I decided to use my old iMac as a bedroom tv and file server. Haven't decided whether to do the surgery and add a 1TB internal or just pickup a firewire external yet. Either way, I'm planning a fresh install to maximize performance and space available since this was my main machine for over 3 years and never saw a fresh install.

I have the original restore media, as well a copy of leopard. When I went to leopard, I did it as an upgrade.

Anyway, just trying to decide which os to use? Leopard ran just fine, but I wonder which will perform best and which will have the smallest footprint after installation?

2. kap09 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also should have mentioned that other than storing files, the only software the iMac will run on a regular basis are front row, plex, and such. Won't be doing any work on the machine (don't even plan on keeping a keyboard attached!)

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

IMO, Front Row is a ton better in Leopard than in Tiger.

4. kap09 thread starter macrumors 6502

hadn't even realized there was a difference! i don't think i ever used it when i had tiger installed...good to know!

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, there's actually quite a bit of a UI change. lol

6. kap09 thread starter macrumors 6502

just took a look on google images and can't believe i forgot how different the original looked. guess i just didn't use it enough to really remember.