Tiger or leopard ?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Seth Mac Fan, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Seth Mac Fan macrumors regular

I find leopard more usable and it has better software support , but tiger is a bit faster in my opinion at least on a dual 2ghz g5 1GB ram . I cant decide whether to keep using leopard or go back to tiger what is your guys opinion for my current setup ?

2. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I use both on my G5. Tiger is fast, Leopard has good apps. Depends on what I'm working on, or what game I'm playing really.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Leopard +1.

I've had nothing but stability issues with Tiger on my work G5. Finder crashing everytime I have more than one copy operation going on, print jobs processing and files being PDFed or I CTRL+click on an item in the Finder. Speed sucked, copy time sucked, issues with our server, on and on.

Leopard brought sanity. Been using it at work for a little over a year. Finder has crashed maybe twice, even with four or more copy operations and a bunch of other stuff going on. No issues with our server and best of all - it's fast.

My experience(s) anyway.

4. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Leopard FTW on a G5

My Dual 1.8 came with Tiger, and I have to say it ran like greased lighting on that beast. However, I ran into the same issues being I had to keep my own portable hard drive of older supported programs to get things done. It got to the point where it was a PIA for me. Switching to leopard ment added some cheap ram (scored a 8gig upgrade kit from OWC on clearance). Installed leopard and never looked back. Believe or not, there are days I still kick myself for giving that machine to my sister in law and upgrading to the mini in my sig. Don't get me wrong the mini is shweetness in a compact box, but there was something about getting all my daily stuffs done on a powerhouse PPC rig that I miss.

5. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

If my Dual 1.5GHz (overclocked) PowerMac G4 can run Leopard like a champ, I'd say your dual G5 should run it no problem. I'm not saying Tiger isn't a great operating system (I'm typing this on an iBook G3 900MHz with Tiger), but Leopard is leaps and bounds above Tiger in terms of software support.

6. zen.state, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

The best thing you can honestly do is run both and decide for yourself. Since every user has different computing habits every OS is a your milage may vary situation.

I personally would always run Leopard over Tiger when possible but thats me. You would be going backward a few years in software compatibility, OS security and OS features.

Edit: I just want to add that this claim many make that Tiger is "faster" is not the case on either of my G4's. A lot of it is perceived because the GUI moves a tad slower but it does other things more than a tad faster. My memory and boot drive speeds are a bit faster in Leopard.

Those that actually understand the technology involved would agree that Leopard in reality is actually the faster of the two.

7. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

So, would you agree then? ;)
    Personally I haven't really felt any real difference, not that actually makes me go either way.

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

9. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

+1 for Leopard.

Anything that has 1gb RAM and a 1ghz G4 I would run Leopard.
    You'll get much more support (what's left of it), speed (especially with a dual 2ghz G5) & security than you would in Tiger.
    But as others have said - try them both, I love Tiger, I think it's a great OS and I had no problems running it on my 867mhz PowerBook, and I still run Tiger on my eMac today. But it really doesn't come close to the practicality & usability of Leopard.

10. Seth Mac Fan thread starter macrumors regular

I like the look too , I will probably just dual boot them and will probably use leopard more but go back to tiger once and a while .

11. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Leopard, as it has much more support compared to Tiger :)

13. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Both.
    I find tiger much more responsive, but for some tasks leopard is essencial due to more updated apps.

14. sos85 macrumors member

15. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Leopard all the way.

My dual 1.8GHz G5 is great on it. Even with 1GB of RAM; I suggest you upgrade to ~4GB ASAP.