Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Hi Everyone,

My Fiancee has just bought me an ibook special edition (Graphite) 466Mhz with half a gig of RAM IN PERFECT CONDITON! Theres not a scratch on this baby! :D

At the minute its running Panther but for some reason the seller has created a partition with some Norton Antivirus software on it which is a gig in size, which is my only annoyance with the thing.

I plan on re partitioning it and reinstalling the OS, but i do have a copy of Tiger i could use instead. Would any ibook owners recommend this over Panther?

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I used to have one of these models. I had 320 MB of RAM in mine. Tiger ran "ok" but Panther ran better.

But if you have half a GB, go for Tiger.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
i have a ibook G3 600 MHz with 384 sdram

i have installed both panther and tiger on it....

tiger runs better! in fact way better...also tiger will run lastest firefox (panther up to 2.0.0.20)... and newer (not latest) versions of safari,itunes ect ect

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I went with Tiger on my 366 Indigo because web browser support for Panther is quite old now. Everything else about Panther is better, but with 512MB of RAM plus the built in 64MB Tiger was doable. You've got an extra 100MHz on yours, so I can imagine it'll be much better. Tiger gets my vote.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
After a couple of days of tinkering with Panther in inclined to agree with the current trend of replies. Panther is much more responsive than i expected on my ibook but better performance is only going to get me so far if i dont have any software to run on the thing!

Think ill upgrade to Tiger, decent browser support and Dropbox for a start! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.