Tiger reaching Final Release Candidate status!

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
Looking good.

Just want two things from Tiger now.

Released soon

Bug free...well as good as it can be :p
 
Comment

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
242
3
Maryland
I'm guessing it installs on 14in iBooks now.

This is good news, I can't wait to get my hands on Tiger. I seriously need Automator.
 
Comment

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
Diatribe said:
Thanks for the info Zaty. I cannot wait, I want it now :D Dashboard, Spotlight and Automator are going to make my life sooo much easier.
Neither can I! Apart from Dashboard and Spotlight, I'm also looking forward to smart folders. I guess having smart folders will be helpful when working on projects.
 
Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,107
75
Solon, OH
I hope that stubborn .Mac sync bug has been squashed.

My guess is that there will be two more builds:

8A426 or 8A427 will be Final Release Candidate 2.
8A428, 8A429, or 8A430 will be declared the Gold Master.

Once that occurs, the pressing and duplication process will start in preparation for Tiger's release.
 
Comment

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
wrldwzrd89 said:
I hope that stubborn .Mac sync bug has been squashed.

My guess is that there will be two more builds:

8A426 or 8A427 will be Final Release Candidate 2.
8A428, 8A429, or 8A430 will be declared the Gold Master.

Once that occurs, the pressing and duplication process will start in preparation for Tiger's release.
I wonder how many more "A" builds there will be. Earlier OS X version had much higher build numbers when they became Gold Master:

10.0 4K78
10.1 5G64
10.2 6C115
10.3 7B85
10.4 8A43X?

ONTH, each OS X was released earlier in development than the preceding versions, as far as build numbers are concerned. But as we all know, Tiger has been development for quite some time. So it is interesting, they're still in the "A" range.
 
Comment

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
4,229
23
Back in the motherland
Zaty said:
Neither can I! Apart from Dashboard and Spotlight, I'm also looking forward to smart folders. I guess having smart folders will be helpful when working on projects.
Yeah, definitely. All in all this will be an awesome release. I wonder if the adoption rate will be higher/faster than with Jaguar/Panther.
 
Comment

Punani

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
199
0
Los Angeles
Zaty said:
ONTH, each OS X was released earlier in development than the preceding versions, as far as build numbers are concerned. But as we all know, Tiger has been development for quite some time. So it is interesting, they're still in the "A" range.
It's possible Jobs had requested the builds not be updated to try and mask the stage of development to casual observers. Just a thought...

WrldWzrd89 said:
My guess is that there will be two more builds:

8A426 or 8A427 will be Final Release Candidate 2.
8A428, 8A429, or 8A430 will be declared the Gold Master.
It seems that Apple is really pushing how many more seeds can be released. Jaguar's Final Candidate 1 became the Gold Master the day after it was seeded.
 
Comment

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
Punani said:
It's possible Jobs had requested the builds not be updated to try and mask the stage of development to casual observers. Just a thought...
Well, if that was the intention, then the trick certainly worked. Many observers, myself included, didn't (or still don't) believe Tiger could come out before June. Anyway, I guess build numbers don't really count, what counts is the result. Although I'm still surprised (but also happy) we might get chance play around with Tiger as early as next month, I only hope Tiger will be ready for release when it is released, whenever that may be. So please Apple, don't rush it, just for the sake of it. June would still be early enough.
 
Comment

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
2,367
0
New York
you know, wouldn't it be awesome if for some reason, they're not done. they just keep on adding features until june, then they ship it! sorry, i just want this to have more bang for my buck here :p
 
Comment

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
4,940
0
Dress Rosa
bennetsaysargh said:
you know, wouldn't it be awesome if for some reason, they're not done. they just keep on adding features until june, then they ship it! sorry, i just want this to have more bang for my buck here :p
Well, the feature list is already known, and has been known for quite some time. They've just been fixing bugs for about a year.
 
Comment

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
8A425 seems pretty usable to me, at least after only a little playing. No obvious problems. .Mac works fine.

I'm waiting to buy a PB to replace my '99 Lombard, and I'm going to order once Tiger comes pre-installed. I'd expected to wait until June. Now... I think it's possible I might be placing an order in a few weeks!
 
Comment

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
2,425
0
Montana
It's interesting that new 10.3.9 seeds and new Tiger seeds seem to be in sync (there's another new 10.3.9 seed today, 7W87).

The Tiger seed is mentioning some Asian language issues (I'm trying to be vague). Localization testing is normally one of the last steps before release, so we might actually be getting close. One more seed by the weekend? There were times with Panther where we got a new seed every 4 days or so. If the April 1st rumor is true, the next seed would almost certainly have to be GM.
 
Comment

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
1,803
5
UK
jsw said:
8A425 seems pretty usable to me, at least after only a little playing. No obvious problems. .Mac works fine.

I'm waiting to buy a PB to replace my '99 Lombard, and I'm going to order once Tiger comes pre-installed. I'd expected to wait until June. Now... I think it's possible I might be placing an order in a few weeks!
I wonder what Tiger will do for Mac sales?...I bet there are alot of people waiting for Tiger before switching or upgradeing.....Is there any data/numbers on this ?
 
Comment

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
daveL said:
It's interesting that new 10.3.9 seeds and new Tiger seeds seem to be in sync (there's another new 10.3.9 seed today, 7W87).

The Tiger seed is mentioning some Asian language issues (I'm trying to be vague). Localization testing is normally one of the last steps before release, so we might actually be getting close. One more seed by the weekend? There were times with Panther where we got a new seed every 4 days or so. If the April 1st rumor is true, the next seed would almost certainly have to be GM.
That's interesting indeed. But perhaps it's just coincidence. As for 10.3.9, I had a feeling it might be released today as 7W86 was said to be the last build. It's s a good sign Apple tries to get it right with 10.3.9. After all, it's going to be the last Panther build.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.