Tiger Reinstall

gsharma88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
13
0
Hi,

I'm new to the Macworld. I just bought a used G3 ibook (running Tiger) through e-bay. However, I did not receive the Tiger installation/restore cds. I'm wondering what would I do if I need to reinstall somewhere down the line? Is there a way I can make a installation copy of Tiger from the copy of Tiger already installed on my HD? Or some other way?

Thanks
Gaurav
 

gsharma88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
13
0
Hi,

You mean create a bootable copy on a cd? How would I go ahead doing that, if you don't mind explaining?

(PS: I've been a hardcore PC user since I was 9 (now I'm 18), and by hardcore, I mean telling someone how to do something (including repairing etc.) on a pc before they even finish their question. I have been wanting a mac for the past 2-3 years, but I wanted to try a cheaper ibook before buying a new imac or macbook pro. But lol I guess I have to learn how to handle OS X, even though I might be an advanced Windows user. Right now I feel like a new immigrant in a new country whose previous degrees and experience do not count for anything :D )

Thanks
 

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
855
0
Eagle Mountain, UT
If you can wait, I would wait for Leopard. That way you don't buy Tiger then want to get Leopard in a few months. If you can't wait, I would just go buy Tiger. That is going to be your best option.
 

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
2,837
1
A religiously oppressed state
CANEHDN said:
If you can wait, I would wait for Leopard. That way you don't buy Tiger then want to get Leopard in a few months. If you can't wait, I would just go buy Tiger. That is going to be your best option.
Leopard won't run on G3s (at least the developer preview, the final version might be different).
 

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
2,837
1
A religiously oppressed state
gsharma88 said:
Hi,

You mean create a bootable copy on a cd? How would I go ahead doing that, if you don't mind explaining?
Sorry I have no idea what I'm talking about, that would only make a disk image file, which you wouldn't be able to boot from, so you're still screwed if you need to reinstall. Please forgive me.

You will either need to get the restore CD from your friend or buy a Tiger install (or Leopard if G3 is supported).
 

gsharma88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
13
0
Alright thanks,.....I just checked on these forums..someone is selling unopened Tiger install cds for $28...amazing deal I guess? Or if I buy from apple, do I have to buy a new one (for $129) or tell them that I lost the original one, and thus order a replacement cd (this should be cheaper i guess)?

Gaurav
 

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
2,837
1
A religiously oppressed state
gsharma88 said:
Alright thanks,.....I just checked on these forums..someone is selling unopened Tiger install cds for $28...amazing deal I guess? Or if I buy from apple, do I have to buy a new one (for $129) or tell them that I lost the original one, and thus order a replacement cd (this should be cheaper i guess)?

Gaurav
I would just buy a new one from Apple, they would charge you for replacement restore discs and they wouldn't be Tiger (they would probably be Jaguar 10.2).
 

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
2,475
69
Utopia
That's right, Apple will give you an older OS than Tiger. Once you are use to Tiger, an older OS will seem outdated compared with Tiger (except maybe Panther). My point is get Tiger install disks. That deal for $28 sounds great! I would jump at that offer.

Are you sure it's Tiger in CD format? Just making sure if your iBook doesn't have a DVD drive that you get Tiger on CD, which is pretty rare.
 

gsharma88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
13
0
No! Unfortunatly! I asked and the seller told it was a mistake on their part, it was on dvd. I'm thinking to buy that and then send to apple to get cds for 9.99. Would this kind of make me vulnerable, like apple coming to know that I didn't buy that dvd from them, or I mean something illegal? I don't wana do something that not ethical and legal.

Thanks
 

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
2,158
2,710
Jamaica
gsharma88 said:
No! Unfortunatly! I asked and the seller told it was a mistake on their part, it was on dvd. I'm thinking to buy that and then send to apple to get cds for 9.99. Would this kind of make me vulnerable, like apple coming to know that I didn't buy that dvd from them, or I mean something illegal? I don't wana do something that not ethical and legal.

Thanks
I am not sure, but isn't possible to do a network install of Tiger, even by sharing the Tiger DVD as a network folder from Windows?
 

gsharma88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
13
0
Mr. Dee said:
I am not sure, but isn't possible to do a network install of Tiger, even by sharing the Tiger DVD as a network folder from Windows?
Can I do that? because I'm also running a PC with a DVD Super Drive..please enlighten on how to do this.

Thanks
Gaurav
 

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
2,158
2,710
Jamaica
gsharma88 said:
Can I do that? because I'm also running a PC with a DVD Super Drive..please enlighten on how to do this.

Thanks
Gaurav
Network the PC and Mac (CAT5), make sure both are in the same workgroup, on the Windows PC, share your DVD drive, on the Mac, open the Finder, go to Network open the network folder (disk drive), launch the 10.4 mpkg installation package and follow the instructions.

In System Preferences under Sharing, ensure that Windows File Sharing is checked.
 

gsharma88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
13
0
Thanks a lot...I'm moving this coming Tuesday, and I'll experiment this in my new home. And I will post updates here on how it works out! Thanks again

Gaurav
 

gsharma88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
13
0
ok...from what i've researched a bit, i think this method should work:

buy a crossover cable and connect my pc and my ibook, and thus share any folder/disks/drives i want. right?

i'm wondering can the ibook be set to boot from the tiger installation dvd in a dvd drive in the pc (connected through a crossover cable)?

Gaurav
 

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
2,158
2,710
Jamaica
gsharma88 said:
ok...from what i've researched a bit, i think this method should work:

buy a crossover cable and connect my pc and my ibook, and thus share any folder/disks/drives i want. right?

i'm wondering can the ibook be set to boot from the tiger installation dvd in a dvd drive in the pc (connected through a crossover cable)?

Gaurav
Yes, you will share the Disk drive on Windows in which the Tiger DVD will be inserted. I am not sure if you can boot from it, its possible that you need something called NetBoot, I don't think its in the client version of OS X.