Tiger Retail disks and PPC vs. Intel

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mccjim12, Aug 28, 2013.

1. mccjim12 macrumors member

I apologize for posting this as I know I have seen it come up on this board in the past. But I tried searching and came up short.

I'm looking to buy a retail DVD of Tiger to put on my PowerBook and iBook and I need to know that the discs will work on a PPC machine. Am I correct in thinking that Tiger disks are universal? Because I thought that the first Intel machines shipped with Tiger, which had already been out for a while... I know the Leopard disks are universal but I just want to make sure I don't get burned.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The last time I looked for Tiger retail disks was about four years ago and I recall searching for a PowerPC version and the results indicated that there was NOT a Universal version.

I may be wrong (I often am) and it will be pointed out here (it often is) if I am, but that's just what I remember.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

4. mccjim12 thread starter macrumors member

Simple enough. :) Thanks!

And eyoungren, you and I were in the same line of thinking it seems. Thanks also!

5. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Want a free Tiger Black retail install CD?
    PM me...

6. RedCroissant Suspended

As others here have already responded, yes the Tiger retail discs will work with your machines. The great things is that your machines(I think) originally shipped with 10.3 on them which means you can save a lot of money just looking for and buying the 10.4.1 retail version and then downloading the 10.4.11 combo update from Apple.

7. mccjim12 thread starter macrumors member

Damn! I already went ahead and did Buy it Now on ebay! Thanks anyway, though...

8. RedCroissant Suspended

Which version did you get and how much did you pay?

9. mccjim12 thread starter macrumors member

I paid about $38 and I believe it was 10.4.3.

10. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Correct, but the System Restore CD/DVD's that came with the original MacTels were 10.4. They are machine-specific, though, so they're only worth a look (if being worth a look at all!) if you have that specific machine and need a restore disc.

11. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I have one of those early intel mac laptops, and since Apple repaired-replaced the MOB because of a video issue even the original 10.4 install disc will not work with it anymore.
    Apple has offered me no solution to this issue either.

12. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I bet they stealth updated the board. Ask about a 10.5 restore maybe?

13. RedCroissant Suspended

I think you got a good deal then. the 10.4.3 should be able to boot any PPC machine(as far as I know). Of course that means the PPC Macs than can run Tiger.

14. mccjim12 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I thought it was a good deal. I saw some as high as $75. I plan on running my iBook exclusively on Tiger and making a second partition on my PB, which currently runs Leopard.

All I really do is web browsing and I'm going to to run TenFourFox and hope for the best!

15. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

A really good deal would have been the "Free" Tiger retail disk I offered up.

16. RedCroissant Suspended

Yeah, people overcharge for that OS all the time so I'm glad that you at least didn't get taken advantage of.

No, that would have been an awesome deal. Want to send it to me instead? :) Which version is it? And no, I'm kidding. I have 10.4.1 and 10.4.3 and can't unload the 10.4.1 disc at the moment.

17. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I have two, both labelled 10.4 Retail

18. RedCroissant Suspended

Yeah, I've been trying to sell mine for $30 and no one is looking for it at all. I think I'm going to be stuck with it. The funny thing is that I can't install it on any of my machines now that I got rid of my 12" iBook G4(it installed and booted but the iBook was not happy with it). Now my PM G5, iMac G5, and 14" iBook G4 won't accept it so it's just sitting quietly in its box waiting to be useful again.

I won't give it away though so I think I'm just going to repost it here on CL for Best Offer.