Tiger retail v Install discs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oscillatewildly, Apr 23, 2008.

1. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Hello,

I am considering getting a Powerbook (know the + and - re MacBook, OS support ...). The item does not come with the Install and Restore discs, will having a retail copy of Tiger be okay? I don't need access to OS 9.2.2

Thank you,
    OW

2. eman macrumors 6502a

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

A retail copy would be ok, however, you won't have iLife (iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, GarageBand) as it is a separate purchase from the retail Mac OS X.

4. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

strange and stupid they give those for apps with the mac itself but not with the install version..

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Because they release new versions of ilife and those cost money. You only get the current version of ilife for free.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Not really. People want to upgrade OS X only, but don't want to pay for the upgrade to iLife. I'm glad the new iLife wasn't included with Leopard, because I wouldn't want Leopard to be more expensive than it is right now. I don't use anything from iLife other than iTunes (which I could get anyway) and occasionally iPhoto (which can be any version as far as I'm concerned).