Tiger Screws Up My Colours!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Belly Buckle, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Belly Buckle macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I've been going crazy - no one can seem to help me out. And I've been on two other forums with this...

Here's my issue:

I have a PowerMac G4 with two HDs. I've had Panther on one of them and have just recently installed Tiger on the other.

After installing Tiger for the first time on a second interior HD, I selected in my display prefs the Adobe RGB 1998 setting, which has been perfect on my other interior HD with Panther on it. Yet colours on screen appeared to be way too contrasty.

So I calibrated my monitor. Soon after clicking 'done' and saving my profile, the screen seemed to change again to the way too contrasty look of the Adobe RGB 1998 profile!

I then opened an Illustrator CS1 file that I had created on my Panther disk. The image had an orange background which was now viewing as insanely bright assaulting redish orange, while all dark colours were too saturated!

Keeping this file open, I recalibrated my monitor using it as a barometer for colour comparison. Everything seemed to be going well, and I even set my Target Gamma to a much lower number (1.27) until my Illustrator file resembled the colour I had viewed it on my Panther disk.

Then again when clicking 'done' and saving my profile, the screen reverted to a dark and intense colour as before.

My Illustrator file looked 'normal', so I closed it. Then I opened a Photoshop file - same intensely saturated colour issue!

Upon reopening the Illustrator file to view alongside this Photoshop one, the colour was back to the insanely intense reddish orange prior to my calibration!

I will mention here that my entire Creative Suite is set to Adobe RGB as the colour space - just like on my Panther disk. I am convinced it isn't a CS problem.

And what convinces me even more is what happened next:

I kept the too bright Illustrator file open, and opened up an older copy of it that I had created days before (I had made a minor change to a graphic, then did a 'Save As'). They both were viewing as different colours! The original intensely orange one remained so, and the older file had a browny colour to it! Same file, same colours, viewing as if they were on two different monitors! I even went into the individual files to compare the colour values and they were exact.

I even went so far as to replace all Colorsync folders/files with the ones on my Panther disk, which I wouldn't normally do, but hey - I'm desperate! Anyway, no difference at all - still screwed up colour.

The odd thing is that even when I select all of the other display settings, they still make my CS documents look awful. So neither profile works at all.

What to do, what to do....!?

At first, I thought it was an issue when I selected the 'import' option at the end of the Tiger install. It imported all settings from my Panther disk. But the I erased the disk, and reinstalled Tiger clean with no imports. Same glitch.

Any geniuses out there who can help poor lil old me?

thanks,
    B.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Open the images in a different application and see if the colour is still off. If it is you can rule out the Adobe applications. If it is not it is problem with your Adobe software.

3. Belly Buckle thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi There.

Thanks for your advice.

Well I know for sure it's not an Adobe issue. The problem occurs immediatley after a clean Tiger install and before intallation of any other apps.

I've tried everything....the overall display colours are still too drastic and contrasty. Then if I choose another profile such as generic RGB, the desktop and icons look better, but my CS app colours don't (and I've tried changing my colour settings with them, too - to no avail).

Any other suggestions?

thanks again,
    B.

4. theWoo macrumors newbie

Try this

I had a similar problem after Tiger froze and I had to force a restart.

Go to System Preferences/Universal Access/Seeing and make sure that the Enhance Contrast is set to Normal - this fixed it for me.

Check this thread too if that doesn't help:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5684081