Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VAmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Hey guys,
I'm a college student looking to get Tiger. Do you think the student discount will come out cheaper than the current Amazon rebate?
Thanks,
Victor

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
VAmin said:
Hey guys,
I'm a college student looking to get Tiger. Do you think the student discount will come out cheaper than the current Amazon rebate?
Thanks,
Victor

Yes, usually it's around $69. I suppose it's possible that things could be different this time, though. It looks like the Amazon rebate might hang around long enough that you could compare them directly.

VAmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Thanks for the reply.
So has there been fluctuation in the student pricing for previous versions? I'm just curious because the rebate comes accross as being just a pre-order thing. Even so, they're both pretty good deals.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
VAmin said:
Thanks for the reply.
So has there been fluctuation in the student pricing for previous versions? I'm just curious because the rebate comes accross as being just a pre-order thing. Even so, they're both pretty good deals.
I believe both Panther and Jaguar were $69. Don't remember before that.

The Amazon rebate says you can order until 5/31. It would be pretty rotten of them to change their minds after the fact, but I seriously doubt the student version will be more than $95 anyway.

VAmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Thanks a lot- I'll be picking up a copy the day it's released :cool:

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Don't pick up Tiger on release date

VAmin said:
Thanks a lot- I'll be picking up a copy the day it's released :cool:
You don't want to do that. It sounds like you're going to go to the store and get a copy. No good. To get the student price, you need to buy on-line. If you want a copy on release, order when preorders are available at apple.com. If it's too early and I'm taking your symantics too seriously, forgive me - I hate the DST switch, screws with my sleep cycle.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
In the past if you ordered online you got free delivery, guaranteed for the release day. Some people even got theirs early! So that's definitely the way to go.

Milliways

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2004
If you get Tiger at your college, it might even be cheaper than the typical student discount price. I know that at USC, iLife is $40, twenty dollars cheaper than it is with the educational discount online. Subsidized prices and whatnot.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
nbs2 said:
You don't want to do that. It sounds like you're going to go to the store and get a copy. No good. To get the student price, you need to buy on-line. If you want a copy on release, order when preorders are available at apple.com. If it's too early and I'm taking your symantics too seriously, forgive me - I hate the DST switch, screws with my sleep cycle.

When I purchased my first mac (it was used), I went to the apple store and got Jaguar with the student discount.

VAmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Yea, I relize I'm going to have to go online for the student discount, that's fine by me. I meant "pick up" in a figurative sense. Sadly, this school doesn't have any great deals on Mac OS that I've noticed. Maybe I'll wait to check the bookstore.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Any idea what the edu price will be in the two UK education stores?

Does the license cover me having a friend buy Tiger from the states and send it over if that works out cheaper?

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I bought my new PowerBook from Apple March 24th. Do you think I'll be elligible for the $20 upgrade? I hope so. I'm buying it at any price regardless.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Pismo said:
I bought my new PowerBook from Apple March 24th. Do you think I'll be eligible for the $20 upgrade? I hope so. I'm buying it at any price regardless.

I'm sorry, but the answer is no. In order to be eligible your purchase would be to be after Tiger is announced. That is the reason why many are waiting on their Mac purchase.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
wdlove said:
I'm sorry, but the answer is no. In order to be eligible your purchase would be to be after Tiger is announced. That is the reason why many are waiting on their Mac purchase.

Oh well. I guess I'll be using the education discount. Perks of being in college.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.