Tiger takes forever to boot, then doesn't load.

maxpayne.co.uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
London, UK
I turn on my eMac, its all good, then OS X starts up and the first blue bar increases slowly and when it reaches the end it just sits there.

Any immediate solutions for this? Its not a hardware problem, as I installed a fresh copy on a crappy 4GB drive and it worked.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Tiger should start up in about half the speed that Panther did, atleast thats my case. My solution for you is to get a better computer.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
maxpayne.co.uk said:
Any immediate solutions for this? Its not a hardware problem, as I installed a fresh copy on a crappy 4GB drive and it worked.
What have you tried for troubleshooting?

Booted from the installer and run Disk Utility (Repair Disk)? Run a 3rd party disk utility? Booted in verbose mode to try and nail down the place it stops? Booted in Single User Mode and read logs? Booted in safe mode to see if you get past the break?

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
You've probably got a corrupted installation; Tiger runs very nicely on both of our G4 machines here.
Boot from the Tiger CD and run disk utility.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
snickelfritz said:
You've probably got a corrupted installation; Tiger runs very nicely on both of our G4 machines here.
Boot from the Tiger CD and run disk utility.
Sound Advice, tiger should not take that long to load. My blue bar just whips across the screen before I can draw my next breath (dual G5s :D). Try disk utility, that should take care of your problem.

maxpayne.co.uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
London, UK
Thanks for the suggestions, but my OS X install was working fine before. Then it was just going slowly.

Tiger should start up in about half the speed that Panther did, atleast thats my case. My solution for you is to get a better computer.
Idiotic answer for a long standing member of this board - my 1.25Ghz eMac is fine for the job. Not all of us can afford Dual PowerMacs just to run Safari :rolleyes:

I fixed the problem though. Before it gave a disk error when trying to install OS X, so I ran a disk utility check and it gave errors and couldnt fix them. I Googled the problem and ran DiskWarrior, which fixed the problem and allowed me to do an archive and install of the OS.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
JzzTrump22 said:
My solution for you is to get a better computer.
That might be a solution in the Windows world... but Macs should *just work*.

I suggest you ignore this advice and follow the other suggestions and see if there is a problem with the HD, etc.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
JzzTrump22 said:
I nominate this for the least helpful suggestion in this thread.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
maxpayne.co.uk said:
I turn on my eMac, its all good, then OS X starts up and the first blue bar increases slowly and when it reaches the end it just sits there.

Boot off an OS X CD/DVD and run Disk Utility from the installer and be absolutely sure that the eMac's hard drive isn't failing.