Tiger to Leopard clean install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zymurgy, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Zymurgy macrumors newbie

I just got my iMac 24" today with a drop in Leopard DVD. Should I go with the clean install (erase tiger and install leopard)? It seems like this is the safest way.

My main question is this. All of the apps that come with the computer (iLife, Office free trail, etc.) will be deleted when I delete Tiger right? Is it guaranteed that I can get every single thing back that I lost and run it on Leopard?

Thanks a lot! :)

2. Stonie24 macrumors newbie

dude your imac is brand new you should just pop that DVD in and do an upgrade. its :apple: life can be that simple/easy...

if you do an erase and install you wont have the apps that came loaded on your mac (iLife etc) unless you have a sep installer DVD for these.

3. pocketrockets macrumors member

It definitely won't hurt to do a clean install but you'll have to go through the trouble of downloading everything again.

I did an upgrade on my Powerbook (with all sorts of junk on it) and at first, the first hour after installation was completely awful. Everything was slow, buttons werent working, and icons were missing. After I restarted about 8 times, everything showed up like it did in Tiger. Thank god....

This has been the story of my experience with Leopard. Everything is funky and buggy at first. But after opening applications for the first time and tweaking settings, things have been starting to lock in.

You will probably spend an equal amount of time and frustration ironing out the initial bugs if you do an upgrade, as you will re-installing programs that you had if you do a clean install. I decided to do the former, knowing there was a lucky chance that I could avoid bugs altogether. Good luck!

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you do a clean install (and why not.... :) ), all you need to do then is drop in the first restore DVD that came with your iMac and click the 'optional installs', which will allow you to install iLife and the other stuff that you're missing from the drop-in install.

5. Zymurgy thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to go with the upgrade...making changes like erasing my hard drive scares me and my $2000 to death. Especially since this is my first mac (another PC switcher). In the process of installing right now. Will let you guys know how every thing is going.

6. Zymurgy thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything is working so far with just the update...no problems yet.

I have to say that this 24" screen is amazing. Are this screens HD on the new iMacs? The desktop background pictures look so great. Maybe it is the glossy screen. I am very impressed so far.

I will mess with leopard and start to bring files in from my PC in the next few days and hook my mac to the internet. I will probably post comments here as I do so because it seems like a lot of people want to know if they should wait to have Leopard pre-installed on their new mac, upgrade like me, or do a clean install.

I will also within the next week or so be putting Windows XP and Office 2003 on here along with VM Ware Fusion. I do have a question about this. With Fusion, do I need to partition my hard drive because I didn't do this when I installed Leopard. Thanks.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Fusion isn't like bootcamp, you don't need a separate partition. The entire virtual machine is stored in a single file. So if you make say a 10GB VM, then the file for it will be 10GB.

Just an FYI...if you are using Time Machine, make sure to exclude your VM, or else it will get backed up over and over.

-Kevin