Tiger to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tumeg101, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I am planning to buy my firs mac, the day of, or a few days after Leopard is released... however, I am buying it from my dad's friend who can get me a good deal (saving $140) and he is an official apple reseller (not at a official apple owned store) so he probably wont have macbooks with leopard right after it's release... so I am going to buy it, go on apple's site and send in a form, for a copy of leopard for only $10-$15 (there is a form you fill out (when you purchased the mac, serial number, and what mac it is) and then you give them $10 + tax + shipping, and they will send you leopard)

So anyway... my question is, when installing leopard... is it pretty straight forward and easy? Could I keep stuff installed, while I install leopard (I know this has been asked allot, but I never looked at the threads because I didn't think I would need to know until 10.6)
    So yeah...

2. mwxiao macrumors regular

Yes.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

link that up

4. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

as for the install, considering you're going to get Leopard only a week or two after you get your Mac (with 10.4 installed), you're probably not going to have it tweaked out too much (3rd party apps etc.) I'd just do the upgrade (will reatain whatever files and setting you have put on it). others will tell you to always to a clean install (will completely erase the harddrive), while a 3rd option is to "archive and install", which will save the current library in another location and create a separate Leopard system library. I've done all three ways many times over the years, and have never had an issue. Either way, you're looking at prob 30 min.