Tiger to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joseph.zimmer, Nov 26, 2007.

1. joseph.zimmer macrumors newbie

I upgraded to Leopard today from tiger.... Where do I uninstall tiger?? I want to free up some space on my hard drive...

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you did an "Upgrade" install, there is nothing to uninstall. Same with an "Erase and Install."

If you did an "Archive and Install," your Tiger system will be inside a folder called "Previous Systems." As long as your system seems to be functioning well and there's nothing you need from the old system, feel free to delete it.

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

but don't expect the archived system to 20 gigs. If you really want to free up some space and you're using a freshly installed OS anyway then I suggest reinstalling the OS but doing a customized install that doesn't include the extra languages and printer drivers that you don't need. That'll save you several gigs.

4. joseph.zimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

It says i have about 7gigs less than i did with Tiger, I am assuming that Leopard just takes up more space? seems like a dumb question but its not the worst i have seen on this forum :)

5. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I just upgraded today, and I lost 7GB when I upgraded. I did an upgrade. Leopard is just bigger, however I AM going to uninstall those language packs and printer drivers, if I can...

6. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

You can use Monolingual to uninstall those language packs.

7. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

It's not a dumb question at all.

I noticed that Leopard takes up a bit more space than Tiger. 7GB is about right I think.

How do you like Leopard when compared to Tiger? Pre-Leopard Tiger was the only Mac OS I'd used (apart from OS9 but lets not talk about that) and I think Leopard is fantastic. Tiger certainly left some big impressive shoes to fill but I think Leopard filled them very well.

Cheers.

8. joseph.zimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my macbook after my pc laptop went bye bye on me for the 3rd time... I was sick of having to do a clean install every month or month and a half. I was never a huge mac user(although I ALWAYS knew they were better) So Tiger was really my only Mac OS experience. Leopard is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! Enough of my rant I do have another question, I noticed the date on the ical icon is acurate now, or at lest it was, it still says november 27th (now the 28th) does anyone know how to make it stay up to date?

9. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

Mine stays up to date, just make sure that your computer clock is up to date and it should do the rest. If not... somebody else might know, but I've never had the problem.

10. joseph.zimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

That was the first thing i checked.. Are there any settings in ical?

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm curious about this space saver - I've read a lot about it in Macworld and Mac | Life - but the one thing I worry about is that I sometimes need to be able to read and copy and paste all kinds of languages. I use English, Japanese, and German regularly (so keep those!), but I sometimes work for international magazines and so forth where, for example, I need to be able to get urdu from a text doc and copy and paste it into a html formatted page. I guess i'm not 100% sure WHAT I'm deleting when I delete the languages. Am I deleting the input ability? Will I still be able to read, copy and paste etc. (I didn't need to change my input menu for urdu)?

Thanks!

12. jhande macrumors 6502

I have the same problem, however it is not consistent. I use Caffeine (to keep the screen awake), so perhaps that is causing the problem. I don't know which event causes the iCal to be updated -- perhaps it is 'wake from sleep or when login'. Both occur very seldom on my laptop. A logout/in always solves the problem.

I have noticed, though, that starting iCal doesn't help. When iCal is running, the date is correct. After quitting iCal, then the date reverts to the 'wrong' one.

13. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You will lose entirely the ability to display or work with the characters in those languages. So as hard as it for me to believe, you're actually one of those extremely rare people who needs many of the pre installed languages! I'm shocked!

You can still regain space by getting rid of all the printer drivers.

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

:) Well, that clears that little problem up. Thanks! Yeah, I never know what language I'm might need to deal with... even though I only know 3, in the last year I've had to do something with about 10 different languages.

15. joseph.zimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update, my iCal has magically started to display the correct date?!?! I don't know why but for some reason it is current!?and how do i remove printer drivers?