Tiger to Lion from new Macbook

roguedarla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have an old MB running Tiger. I just bought a new MBP running Lion. Is there anyway I can upgrade my old MB without having to buy Snow Leopard? I know if you buy Lion, you can upgrade all of you Macs, but Tiger can't access the app store.

TIA!

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
No, there isn’t a way without a system capable of accessing the MAS. I also don’t believe that the version that comes with your mac is intended to be used as an upgrade. I may be wrong on that last point but there isn’t going to be an adequate way of upgrading your Tiger machine legally. You might as well just upgrade to SL first.

Comment

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...also, as has been said countless times here - buying a new Mac with Lion does *not* give you license to install Lion on every Mac you own. The license you buy from the App Store is different from that which comes with a computer. The App Store license is for all your computers, the one you get with a computer is for that computer only....oh yeah!

Comment

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
I seem to remember that Apple Stores sell Lion on USB flash drives. If there's one near you, I would call and see if they do. They won't be doing that for Mountain Lion.

Comment

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I seem to remember that Apple Stores sell Lion on USB flash drives. If there's one near you, I would call and see if they do. They won't be doing that for Mountain Lion.
Better yet, create your own. Purchase and download the "Install Lion" app from the MAS (on your new MB) and google how to put it on a USB key to make a clean install. You can clean install on your old MB even without SL installed.

Comment

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Duff-Man says...also, as has been said countless times here - buying a new Mac with Lion does *not* give you license to install Lion on every Mac you own. The license you buy from the App Store is different from that which comes with a computer. The App Store license is for all your computers, the one you get with a computer is for that computer only....oh yeah!
Yes, this is true. I'm not sure how exactly one would transfer a pre-installed copy of Lion to another Mac anyway. I don't think the average user would be able to figure that one out.

Comment

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Yes, this is true. I'm not sure how exactly one would transfer a pre-installed copy of Lion to another Mac anyway. I don't think the average user would be able to figure that one out.
Easy. Clone the hard drive with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Of course, that violates the EULA and the drivers may or may not work.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.