Tiger to Lion from new Macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roguedarla, May 26, 2012.

1. roguedarla macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have an old MB running Tiger. I just bought a new MBP running Lion. Is there anyway I can upgrade my old MB without having to buy Snow Leopard? I know if you buy Lion, you can upgrade all of you Macs, but Tiger can't access the app store.

TIA!

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

No, there isn’t a way without a system capable of accessing the MAS. I also don’t believe that the version that comes with your mac is intended to be used as an upgrade. I may be wrong on that last point but there isn’t going to be an adequate way of upgrading your Tiger machine legally. You might as well just upgrade to SL first.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...also, as has been said countless times here - buying a new Mac with Lion does *not* give you license to install Lion on every Mac you own. The license you buy from the App Store is different from that which comes with a computer. The App Store license is for all your computers, the one you get with a computer is for that computer only....oh yeah!

4. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

I seem to remember that Apple Stores sell Lion on USB flash drives. If there's one near you, I would call and see if they do. They won't be doing that for Mountain Lion.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's correct. It costs about $10 more than buying Snow Leopard and downloading Lion (not free). You pay extra for the convenience.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Better yet, create your own. Purchase and download the "Install Lion" app from the MAS (on your new MB) and google how to put it on a USB key to make a clean install. You can clean install on your old MB even without SL installed.

7. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Yes, this is true. I'm not sure how exactly one would transfer a pre-installed copy of Lion to another Mac anyway. I don't think the average user would be able to figure that one out.

8. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

Easy. Clone the hard drive with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Of course, that violates the EULA and the drivers may or may not work.

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Yeah... like I said, the average user is not going to be doing this.