Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canamac7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi all. First off I am a complete noob when it comes to Mac.
I recently purchased a new imac with Snow Leopard and have been enjoying learning it.
Out of the blue I had an opportunity to buy a late 2006 Macbook at a great price so I went for it. Its a Intel based Mac using Tiger.
I want to upgrade this OS to Snow Leopard and need some guidance.
I have done some research and have determined that I should be able to do this by purchasing the $30 disc.
I am a bit confused regarding the back up and install procedure however.

After buying the macbook I successfully upgraded the hard drive from the 80gig to a 320 gig using the free download of Super Duper to clone the entire drive. There are a lot of YouTube videos and post outlining this and it went without any problem.
(there doesn't seem to be as much info for upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard out there plus I have read some people have had problems)

So I need a back up and install plan.
Can I use Super Duper for this? It seems to me that cloning would duplicate everything including the Tiger OS so I would expect that there may be conflicts? Or does Super Duper have another copying function.(it does not have any help files)
Here is what I have to work with.
The original 80 gig HD and an enclosure. A new untouched 500 gig external drive.
Original Tiger install disc's and soon to be purchased Snow Leopard disc.

FYI the Macbook has no personal files or 3rd party apps that I need to keep. I have only done test uploads of pictures and video to test the all the ports and drives etc.
I do however need to keep all the included apps like iphoto, tunes etc .especially imovie 06 HD

A bit off topic but if successful I want to download imovie 11 but still keep 06 HD. Can I use both on the same machine?

Thanks

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I did it this way when I upgraded my Tiger Mini to SL. Clone your MacBook to the old 80 gig HD. If you haven't reformatted that yet then there is no need. With the 80 gig HD connected to your MacBook install SL onto the 80 gig HD.

Just put the disc in your MacBook and choose the external drive when given the option of where to install. SL will just install on top of Tiger, keeping all your settings and accounts, applications etc.

Once installed, shutdown the MacBook then reboot from the external drive. You can now play with your new SL installation checking how things work, maybe updating applications, printer drivers etc, that may need updating. All the while if you come across any problems, you can always reboot the MacBook back into Tiger and know that everything is OK.

When you're happy with how SL is working, then you can then clone the external drive back to the MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.