Tiger to Snow Leopard to use with iPad 2. Help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oga, Aug 15, 2011.

1. oga macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have an iMac running 10.4.11 with a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2, SDRAM, and I am interested in buying an iPad 2. I know that I need to upgrade to at least 10.6, but I was told by two different Apple representatives that I first need to upgrade to 10.5, and then to 10.6.

However, I was also told by the same Apple representatives (in Japan) that 10.5 is no longer sold by Apple (as of last week) and to look elsewhere for it. I looked on Amazon Japan and the 10.5.6 is selling for over $320 (U.S.).

I've read that it's possible to upgrade directly to Snow Leopard 10.6 from my current system.
    Has anyone done this?
    Were there any problems?
    If I can directly upgrade, does anyone know of any potential problems when syncing with an iPad 2?

My goal is to have an iPad 2, but I didn't realize that I would encounter so many hassles along the way.
    Any advice, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated from this computer klutz.
    Thank you.

2. oga thread starter macrumors newbie

10.4.11 to 10.6 successful!

I didn't get any answers to my previous post but I did get a lot of lookers. Just to let you know I was able to upgrade directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard. No problems at all. Took about 35 minutes to install. Good luck to all of you who attempt the same.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm glad it worked! I wonder why the Apple guys said that? Did they really want to sell Leopard AND Snow Leopard? It seems they are doing a lot of this sort of thing now that Lion is out and telling ppl they need SL to get Lion.

Again, I would rather create a new partition and use migration assistant to bring my stuff over from whatever old OS to Lion rather than buy SL as a stepping stone to get Lion. It's bad enough to have to pay $70 for the USB stick versus $30 in the app store for Lion, which is more than buying SL and Lion would cost, so I have to ask myself why they seem to want another $30 for SL when you'll only use it for a few minutes on your way to Lion.

I am curious, though. Why did you need a new OS for iPad 2? Was it for a newer version of iTunes? In a few weeks iTunes won't be in your way any more. Well that's not quite true. You'll need iTunes one last time to get iOS 5 and then iTunes won't be in your way any more.