Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dtorre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
so i've done a lot of research, and a vast majority of people are saying that if you install the $30 upgrade to snow leopard onto an intel based mac running Tiger, it works!

I have two questions regarding this...

Is it true!? because i don't want to waste $30 for nothing

Would i be able to run logic 9 after this upgrade?

my only goal is to run logic 9. I have no interest in any of the features that come with leopard or snow leopard

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you get a warning after the update about the fonts asking if you want the OS to fix it now ... DO IT NOW. The I'll do it myself later button is a PIA method to recover from, unless Apple changed the popup after the initial release to repeat.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I've seen people indicate that it is against the EULA, but thankfully Apple doesn't enforce it. I say thankfully, not because I want to deprive Apple of any of my money, but because I myself ran into a situation - I had a hard drive failure 2 months after I upgraded my Tiger install to Leopard and Leopard to SL.

I own the Leopard family pack (Leopard + iLife + iWork), but have it for 2 PPC machines, and 1 Intel machine, so I bought just one SL license (rather than the whole SL FP). The SL machine lost it's harddrive, but once I got a new hard drive, I could simply install SL directly, because the installer assumes I'm honest and actually own the software legally - I didn't need to reinstall Leopard for no reason.

A lot of people tend to view this as a hole, I simply view it as Apple assuming I actually am honest, and not needing to verify it in annoying ways. That's corporate behavior I tend to want to reward.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
It will phone-home back to apple and possible legal and criminal action will be taken against you. I know someone this happened to, and it is just not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.