Tiger to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MustangJoe, Aug 23, 2011.

1. MustangJoe macrumors member

Hello I'm new. I'm trying to help out my Mom who just recently bought an iPad 2 and now we cannot get anything on it because she doesn't have the correct version of iTunes. She is using Mac OS X 10.4.11 and I'm just wondering if we can upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard? I know this might be old but I just want to make sure. I called someone today saying you can't because you need to have Leopard first. I have a feeling they were wrong. Thanks for your help! Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

2. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

Did you try to do a Software Update? If not, click on the Apple and choose Software Update.

3. porky2017 macrumors member

porky2017

go & download the latest version of iTunes-& yes you can upgrade from tiger to snow leopard no worries-I did it myself & don't let anyone tell you otherwise.:D

4. stroked Suspended

stroked

That's right, Apple employes are trained to lie about certain things. You don't need Leopard to upgrade to SL.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Keep in mind that Snow Leopard requires an Intel Mac. If your mom's Mac is a PPC, then she's limited to Leopard, provided it's a 1ghz G4 or better.

6. MustangJoe thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks guys. Now we share the same account but my songs are on my Windows laptop and her songs are on her Mac desktop. I just want to make sure she will have the same songs on the mac and not mine. If not that's okay I'll just show her how to download them through the cloud. And did you guys lose any files when upgrading? I know it's important to back up. Just want to know. I never upgraded the software on a mac before. I here it's easier than Vista to Windows 7 which was a pain for me!

7. Ben Simpsy macrumors newbie

this is only partly correct

apple employees trained to lie? not sure about that

theoretically can you do it - yes. the snow leopard disc contains the full OS.

HOWEVER, if you read the license agreement then from a legal perspective it is an upgrade disc which assumes you have purchased and have a license for leopard.

from a legal perspective you need to by the box set

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You should always back-up before updating. I always back-up before even a point update. If you have an external drive available, you can use a trial copy of SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner.

When I swapped out my Airport Extreme (from 3rdGen to 4thGen), I didn't realize that they up'd the system requirements from Tiger to Leopard. I went to the Apple Store and told the employee that I needed to update from Tiger since I couldn't use the Mac to set up my AEBS. She handed me the $30 SL DVD.

So not all employees at the Apple Store follow their own rules.

9. MustangJoe thread starter macrumors member

Okay guys I just ordered it for her. Now I keep reading that you should do a clean install and I really don't know what that means. Is this necessary? I also backed most of her photo's on a couple of photo website.