Tiger to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phantom5251, Sep 12, 2009.

1. phantom5251 macrumors 6502

phantom5251

Now that it's been out for awhile, I was curious what people's success rates have been with just getting the Snow Leopard disc and not the box set to upgrade Tiger? Or is it still recommended to get the Box Set? I honestly rarely use either the iLife or iWork suites, so that's why I was wondering. Thank you all!

2. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

The 'Leopard upgrade disc' should work fine. I've seen many reports of people having a fair amount of success. The only warning is that you might have much better results doing a fresh install (i.e. format hard drive before installing Snow Leopard) rather than an upgrade from Tiger. Of course, you'd need to do a full backup of everything important on your computer before doing this!

There has been some question over the strict legality of doing this, but I'm on the side that there's nothing bad about it - given that you're not permitted, by the EULA, to use a Leopard upgrade disc on anything but a computer with Leopard but the $30 Snow Leopard package is not labelled as an upgrade disc anywhere on the packaging or the included materials - just in the marketing publications.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

It can be done and you don't have to do anything 'special'. You'll be asked if you use Leopard at the store and they won't sell it to you if say you run Tiger. But it'll upgrade you no problem. Just make sure you're on an Intel Mac. I don't know if you knew that or not so I'm just playing it safe.

On the other hand. Most of us have a thing against the Tiger -> SL upgraders using the $30 disc.

4. phantom5251 thread starter macrumors 6502

phantom5251

Yeah, I have a regular MacBook that's running Intel Core 2 Duo Processors. And that's why I was wondering, is because does the Box Set contain a disc to upgrade to Leopard, and then another disc to upgrade to Snow Leopard? Or just Snow Leopard? I get Apple's thinking regarding the EULAs etc, but I guess their marketing of it just kind of makes me wonder...

5. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Just the disc for SL. Apple could very well have placed a program in SL that reads for Leopard. But they didn't and we (the Mac community) just don't want them to be given reasons to start locking up stuff for us like Microsoft has done for all of their products. That's why we harp on the EULA and other "rules."

6. phantom5251 thread starter macrumors 6502

phantom5251

So basically the only difference between the 2 packages, is one has the iLife/iWork suites and the other doesn't?