tiger to snow leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by memoteran, Oct 9, 2009.

1. memoteran macrumors member

if i want to go from tiger to snow leopard , what do i have to do?

do i have to buy leopard first and then the upgrade?

im just wondering because some people says about doing a clean install of sl , o if you do a clean isntall i guess it really doesnt matter if u got leopard or no .

am i wrong?

2. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

My understanding was that you could not do a clean install of SL with the $29.99 edition and thus were forced to upgrade from leopard to SL. Tiger users could upgrade to the tune of $149 (I think) and would get a clean install version with the iLife suite.

Am I correct?

3. Tyr. macrumors member

You can install SL over Tiger. You can just install on a blank disk even from the SL DVD, there are no checks. It's recommended you do a full install though rather than an update to avoid incompatibilities.

Edit: I know this from personal experience BTW : put a brand new unused HD in a new mini and installed from the SL disk, it doesn't check for previous installs.

4. memoteran thread starter macrumors member

oh that sound nice , i just got a new hd for my laptop so i guess i will try that.

5. Loono macrumors member

Loono

Hi I have just sucessfully installed snow leopard from tiger (core duo, 1st gen macbook lol).
    So far, I am loving the upgrade... My computer feels so much more efficient.
    I did a clean install with the snow leopard upgrade disk (£25 or $29) :)

Edit: This is what i did.

1. Cloned tiger - incase the upgrade doesn't work out.
    2. Boot up with the snow peopard upgrade disk (£25 or $29) by holding 'c' during power up.
    3. Go to disk utility menu at the top - erase and partitioned as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) + GUID partition table (under options).
    4. Then follow the steps in installing SL.

6. GeneKam macrumors regular

I personally dont recommend upgrades as there are always a lot of crappy software and extensions that simply wont work. Save yourself the headache!!!
    Back up itunes, movies, photos, and documents. Open a notepad and write down what software you want to redownload and do a clean install. It works much better.