Tiger to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iconcal, May 28, 2010.

1. iconcal macrumors newbie

Hey everyone! I need your help.
    I recently bought the Mac Box Set for Snow Leopard and I was wondering if I should back up my computer first or if it's safe enough to just go ahead and upgrade? Would everything disappear, like iTunes, iPhoto, etc?

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

2. celticpride678

If you are going from Tiger to Snow Leopard, then you will have to completely erase your hard drive and install Mac OS X Snow Leopard. This means that all data will be gone.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Ehem. Even though Apple advertises that Snow Leopard can only be upgraded on top of Leopard, I have successfully upgraded straight from Tiger.

Just do the upgrade. It will keep EVERYTHING!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Repair the drive, repair the permissions, turn off all the startup/login items, and use font book to eliminate all the problem fonts you have now (as in remove the bad fonts now, don't just disable them.)

Likely, when you first boot Snow Leopard, it'll probably ask you if you want the OS to remove problem fonts -- let it.

Had an old user that i'd been simply upgrading and disabling fonts since Tiger, Snow Leopard saw through this foolish mortal stunt and squashed me.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Dude, don't go saying things like that. Such a horrible thing to do.

I'm saying this, seriously hoping it was supposed to be a joke, but I'm never sure.

In case you weren't joking, that's patently false. It can simply be upgraded without any problems whatsoever (although a backup is always a wise idea).

jW

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is incorrect.

Or otherwise I am operating in an parallel universe that allows it. :)

FWIW, I've done it a couple of times upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard. Pretty straight forward.

OP. Before you upgrade, be sure to back up your current system. To do this, I would recommend cloning to an external HD using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I recently bought the Mac Box Set for Snow Leopard and I was wondering if I should back up my computer first or if it's safe enough to just go ahead and upgrade?"

The computer's drive should already be backed up, whether you are upgrading or not.

If you don't currently maintain a backup drive, you should think about doing that, pronto.

And, yes, it WOULD be a very good idea to do a backup before a major system re-install....

8. iconcal thread starter macrumors newbie

I took all of your advices and just went ahead and upgraded beforehand. Thank you again for your comments. I'm now officially running on Snow Leopard and I am so excited! :D

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good news! :)

Now, did you create a backup on an external HD? If not, please consider doing so just in case.

10. mgabe macrumors newbie

upgrade tiger to snow leopard

Hi -

I would like to upgrade Tiger to Snow Leopard and have been told that I would need to purchase the boxed set to do so. However, I also read that this was not the case, that I could simply buy the Snow Leopard upgrade ($29 vs. $169) and would have no problems.

Is this true? If so, would this be an easy upgrade to do - i.e. put in the disc, click upgrade and be done?

Thanks,
    Technically Challenged!

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No technical problems, certainly. Apple's official policy is that the $29 disc is for Leopard license owners only. So it would be a problem of conscience, if that would bother you.

12. mgabe macrumors newbie

Thanks Gregg2! The answer I was hoping for!

13. EDIGGITY macrumors newbie

MBP
    Intel core 2 duo
    2GB RAM

I am really fine with Tiger, and it does everything I need it to do. But the big kicker is I can't use an iPhone 4 with it. I've read(In addition to this thread)/watched videos that you can in fact upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, however; there are some details that I cannot find concrete information about. I will list them below.

1. If I buy the $30 SL disk, pop it in, and click install, will all of my files Music/Pictures/Documents etc. from Tiger still be there when it's done?

2. If I buy the $30 SL disk will my Garage Band, iPhoto, iMovie, and all those other programs from Tiger still work ok, or do I need to buy the $170 SL pack? The only thing I really use is the iPhoto on Tiger and it works just fine for me now.

Thanks in advance.

14. jsviper96 macrumors newbie

jsviper96

1. Yes. Absolutely.
    2. Yes. If you're still using Classic applications, though, those will no longer work as Tiger was the last OS to support those.

15. EDIGGITY macrumors newbie

Ok, I got the first one, but I am still a little confused on the second. Are you saying that, yes, I need to buy the $170 pack, or yes the Tiger iLife applications will still work on Snow Leopard?

Thanks for the reply.

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's two questions, aka a compound question. A good opposing attorney would object, and the judge would make you rephrase each question. If you need a straight answer, ask one question at a time.

Right.

17. EDIGGITY macrumors newbie

Well, we are not in a court of law, and you obviously understood what I asked. If you took the time to type all that, you could have at least helped me out instead of being a jerk about it. Additionally, it was a compound question with or immediately after the comma, which implies that it is a new question. Now, back to Snow Leopard. Thanks in advance to anyone who actually wants to help.

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To the contrary, you have no way of knowing whether or not Gregg2 understood your question(s). Life would be simpler for all concerned if you asked one question at a time.

19. EDIGGITY macrumors newbie

Dude, enough with the semantics. If you don't understand the question, don't respond. It's that simple. This isn't Shakespeare, and I'm not asking you to interpret symbols or parables. Give me a break.

20. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, at least maybe you'll remember this thread the next time you start to write a compound question.