Tiger, Ubuntu, Xp, and Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jarenado, Sep 23, 2007.

1. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

I thought this rather cool, and I'm sure some of you will as well. My brother is a web developer, and just got a new Acer laptop to his work. He is an avid Linux user, but must test on all systems. Anyway, today he managed to boot all the Operating Systems mentioned in the title. Kind of crazy, and also pretty cool for people who have vista and hate it, they can now install tiger.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

not legally though unless they buy a Mac.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

4. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

It will still run like crap if you do. Plus that's illegal and your computer will suffer for it.

5. jarenado thread starter macrumors regular

jarenado

wow, whats with all the anger about this. Its neat that he can do all that, and as Mac fans, shouldnt you be excited that more people might use Mac OS.

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Well considering Apple makes their money from hardware, no we are not happy. Plus it's illegal to do so.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

"Not legally" implies there is a law against this. There is none. At worst there is a violation of a license agreement. But it could be that there never was any agreement.

For example when I bought my G4 Mini it came with Tiger on a DVD. What happens if I copy the DVD onto the hard drive of my PC. I never agreed not to do this. There was not even a click through agreement. But now there is a copy of Tiger that my G4 emulator can boot.

Another scenario might be that I decide to "retire" an Intel based iMac because the LCD monitor is broken. So I salvage the hard drive and place it in my PC. Whatif I boot off this drive? Have I violated any agreement? All I've done is swapped out my Mac's monitor and CPU with generic parts. I did not copy Tiger.

Anyway, we should be happy that at least one more web developer thinks about testing his work on a Mac. 90% test only on IE if even that.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That would still be against the EULA where it says that it can only be used on an Apple branded computer. So it would still be illegal, as the EULA is valid under the DMCA.

9. nospamboz macrumors regular

Gee, and I only managed to do that a week after I bought my iMac a year ago.

(Well, it was a Vista beta.)