tiger up to snow leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macdame, Jan 17, 2010.

1. macdame macrumors newbie

hi, i've been looking at macbooks on ebay to replace my trusty and faithful powerbook g4. i've found several macbooks w/ a lot of features i like but the ones in my price range have tiger as the operating system. my g4 has leopard on it so i want to update my new companion to the best it can be. so my question is can i update something from tiger straight to snow leopard and skip leopard. any advice is much appreciated:)

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

3. brendu macrumors 68020

yep nothing is stopping you... all you need to do is pick up a SL disc at the apple store or online.

4. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I don't know where this comes from. The Snow Leopard retail box for EUR 29 and its accompanying license NOWHERE say that you need to have Leopard installed or own a copy of Leopard to be eligible to install Snow Leopard.

So why is everybody repeating this false information?

The EUR 29 Snow Leopard box is a full RETAIL version (as is clearly printed on the box), NOT an upgrade or update. And since it is NOT an upgrade, you do NOT need a previous Mac OS X operating system. And the EULA does NOT state anything otherwise.

Apple's marketing department tries to sell you a "Mac Desktop Set", sure. But there are no license restrictions in the Snow Leopard-only box that would make it actually necessary to purchase the Desktop box.

So, yes, you can go directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard, both technically AND legally.

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Fair enough, I stand corrected. I just read the relevant sections in Apple's EULA and compared them with what's written online (not on Apple's site). That indeed doesn't match. I always assumed you needed to have bought Leopard before being allowed to run Snow Leopard, since many reviews stated so. Well, now I know that's not true.

So yes, macdame, it's perfectly fine for you to get a Snow Leopard disc and use it on your MacBook.

6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Yep, all you need is a new disc!

Habitus :apple: