tiger user wanting to upgrade to Leopard OR SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seablue, Dec 27, 2009.

1. seablue macrumors regular

I'm a single user - I have an ibook G4 and a desktop mac. both are running on Tiger. My laptop is running on 10.4.11 I've been doing just fine with what I have and didn't even know there was a snow leopard out now LOL - I've been out of touch obviously. I went into a computer store today and saw a nifty wireless mouse and I wanted it for my laptop. Came home and looked it up for the specs and saw that it requires at least a 10.5.8
    So..... now I want to upgrade my computers. Well, at least my laptop. I was thinking just leopard but would it be better to just go for snow leopard?
    I'm not finding a clean install for the leopard - maybe I'm not looking hard enough. And I saw people having issues with their routers running on SL - maybe this issue is fixed now??
    Looks like the ibook has 512MB right now. Would I need more to run either leopard or snow leopard?
    thanks for any help and suggestions.

2. jpkh macrumors newbie

I just down graded back to Leopard from SL because it's not good.. at least not for me.

Second, you cannot run SL on G4 macs. Leopard is highest that you can run on your G4. I have also one old G4 running Leopard.

Reason why SL is about 6 gigs smaller than Leopard is just because of G4 support has been taken of.

So go to Leopard :)

3. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

thanks and I'm just now reading an article and found that I can't run SL on this G4 like you say. It doesn't have an intel processor. Oh well.... I just want that wireless mouse and it will run on leopard. I don't need SL.
    Are you running on a router? If so... how does leopard work with it? ok?
    Where can I get leopard? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place - but I looked on apple website and can only find SL.

4. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

yikes that is quite expensive!! Not really worth it for a wireless mouse that I wanted. Apple sure doesn't make it easy to upgrade that's for sure. Unless I buy a new laptop :(

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No issues with wireless routers. It's always Windows computers that have problems not the Macs. My friend's old, but expensive in his day (5 grand) Dell XPS gaming laptop couldn't connect to my 802.11g network because you need SP3 for XP to have WPA2-PSK2 support.

Anyway, try searching eBay for copies of Leopard. Not many retailers keep Leopard in stock when SL is out. SL only costs $29. It is time for a new notebook, I've owned an iBook G4, the last model before the switch to Intel processors. I've since upgraded two to a MacBook and now a MacBook Pro.

6. Greenman85 macrumors regular

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can call the online store to get the regular Leopard. they just don't show it on the web site.

8. talentsky macrumors newbie

Leopard is the highest upgrade for power Mac, fortunitely or unfortinitely ...