Tiger VS Leopard (Mac mini c2d 1.83 ghz)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paetrick, Nov 9, 2008.

1. paetrick macrumors regular

I installed Leopard a few days ago on my mac mini (the new one with c2d, 1.83 ghz, 1GB ram).

In tiger Exposé / dashboard / minimizing windows was amazingly smooth, everything ran very smooth. All this is sooo MUCH slower in leopard :S, Kinda feels like having VISTA on a 3 year old computer. My computer went from super snappy to a very slow computer , at least it feels slow because of the slowdowns in expose/dashboard etc etc (I've all the leopard updates).

My question is: Is it suppose to be like this? I installed Tiger again to rule out any hardware failure, but it's as smooth as always :) I think it's kinda bad if on of their 2007 macs can't even run the newest OS smooth :S What's this all about? I really want the new macbook but I don't want it to feel like Im running Vista on my 1ghz dell laptop :(...

(The overall performance in Tiger is waay better, browsing the web etc)

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

My Mac mini 2.0Ghz C2D's came with Leopard installed. Both have been running very smoothly.

I'm not so sure that a mere 170 MHz of processor power would make such a huge difference.

The only thing I can suggest is that you back up your files and do a clean install.

3. paetrick thread starter macrumors regular

Well I did a clean install 2 days ago when I installed leopard, so that's not it.

Tiger runs so smooth but misses many important features that I need :/...

4. Borjan macrumors regular

Are you talking slow as in... a little bit jerkier?

Or like... unbearably slow?

Because I have a 1.66 Core Duo Mini, and my Dashboard/Expose is silky smooth. I have 2gb of RAM though.

Your CPU isn't doing something on the side is it?

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

One thing is for sure, Leopard on the new MBs will never be like Vista. Heck, I use Leopard on my plastic MB and it's smooth. Except when heavy graphics come into play, like scrolling thru the grid view in iTunes.

6. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

Ram

My guess is that the performance of your Mac Mini is constrained by RAM - 1GB is fine for Tiger, but Leopard needs more to run smooth, especially since the 1GB is also used for video RAM (integrated graphics).

7. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Runs smoothly here

Mac mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz, however I do have 2.5 GiB of RAM. As others have said, 1 GiB is not really enough for Leopard.

8. paetrick thread starter macrumors regular

Alright :), What kind of ram does the mini use? is there 2 x 512 inside it right now or 1 x 1GB?

Just to be clear: Exposé and dashboard is smooth for you?

9. Borjan macrumors regular

I've got 2GB here, and its nice and smooth.

That being said though, look online for guides to open up and upgrade the RAM on the Mini. I did it, and its perfectly doable for anyone to do, its just a little trickier than doing it on a Macbook for example.

Go slow, and don't be afraid to give a little elbow grease getting the case off when required!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you will be needing PC2-5300 Sodimms. :)

10. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

I think your Mini has 2 x 512, but you can check this:
    [Apple Menue] -> About this Mac -> More info -> click on Memory in Hardware section

11. priller macrumors regular

Both are smooth on my macbook with 1GB of ram.

12. paetrick thread starter macrumors regular

SO-DIMM 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHZ KINGSTON - Im thinking of 2 of these, they'll work right?

13. TK007b macrumors newbie

For what it's worth,

I have a 1.66 Core Duo Mini, and my Dashboard/Expose is silky smooth. I only have 1gb of RAM though.

Wonder if the intel chip is the thing that helps ?

14. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

1 GB of RAM just doesn't cut it with Leopard. People used to argue about this here but I think the overwhelming consensus now is that 2GB is the minimum requirement to run Leopard smoothly.