Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
ive mentioned a little about this in another thread, but the problems persists and gets a little more confusing and different each time.

I have Panther (10.3.9 running now) and i can access the internet via my BT Voyager 2100 wireless router with zero problems at all. instantly the name pops up under the Airport menu. smashing! works like a charm.
however, on my external FW drive i have Tiger. Which can see the home network (and for some reason the signal is about 20-30% better in Tiger too), but i cannot make any internet or other 'outside' connections with the router.

i have reinstalled Tiger about 4 times. the 1st time was an update; didnt work. then was a format/install, again it didnt work.

what is a little peculiar is that the Stock Widget seemed to get some information, which it does only when its online. like its connecting in tiny short bursts.

any tips or out? ive tried resetting the router, messing around with details in there, but nothing. help!

suraj

macrumors member
I'm having a similar problem with my Microsoft MN-700 router.

I can connect to my wireless network fine, however I cannot connect to the internet through it although all other computers can connect through it (including my brother's iBook G4 running Panther).

Any suggestions? This is killing me..

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
raggedjimmi said:
ive mentioned a little about this in another thread, but the problems persists and gets a little more confusing and different each time.

I have Panther (10.3.9 running now) and i can access the internet via my BT Voyager 2100 wireless router with zero problems at all. instantly the name pops up under the Airport menu. smashing! works like a charm.
however, on my external FW drive i have Tiger. Which can see the home network (and for some reason the signal is about 20-30% better in Tiger too), but i cannot make any internet or other 'outside' connections with the router.

i have reinstalled Tiger about 4 times. the 1st time was an update; didnt work. then was a format/install, again it didnt work.

what is a little peculiar is that the Stock Widget seemed to get some information, which it does only when its online. like its connecting in tiny short bursts.

any tips or out? ive tried resetting the router, messing around with details in there, but nothing. help!

I have the same router and the the same problem, In fact I share my internet connection with windows users, when I am trying to get onto the web they can't access it, I turned all my macs off, and reset the router and they can get on, so I am in the my university's library and I am fine, I think there maybe somthing wrong like a bug with tiger and the 2100 router?

If it doesn't work later on I am calling apple because I have applecare and will sort my macs out, I will let you know If you are still having problems, it won't be until about 4pm have to go out now.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Found the problem
Your computers name is too long, make it shorter, and the internet will work fine.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
hmm, ive tried changing the name down from "wee bee" to just "bee", still persists. looks like this is quite common too. which is good i suppose, a famous problem gets fixed quicker!

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
raggedjimmi said:
hmm, ive tried changing the name down from "wee bee" to just "bee", still persists. looks like this is quite common too. which is good i suppose, a famous problem gets fixed quicker!

Sorry I forgot to add I had to enter the name of the routers Primary DNS Server address as well, I reset the router whilst rebooting my computer and then it worked. This will hopefully sort it out.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
thank you so bloody much! tiger works fine now, i just put in the DNS address in the network box, loaded up google only to find it working! F12>Dashboard... weather widget works!

brilliant :)

First thing tuesday morning (bank holiday monday), Apple get my moolah :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.