Tiger won't boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SkyBell, Apr 26, 2008.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Last night, I burned a LiveCD of Ubuntu to try and boot on my IceBook G3. I popped it in the drive, rebooted holding "C". Well, for some reason it didn't work and booted to Tiger instead. So I tried again, and this time it booted to a blank grey screen. Restarted, did same thing. Now, I took the disk out and tried to boot into Tiger as usual. Same thing happened, and every time I try, it still "boots" to that grey screen. Is my Tiger install botched? What can I do to restore it?

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

That, Cassie, is what's killed two Blue and White G3s for me. :(

Try holding option at startup to see if your HDD is recognized.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've seen this problem a couple of times.

Try resetting the PRAM - hold down cmd-opt-p-r on boot. Wait until you hear the startup 'bong' the third time and release. Hopefully the G3 will then recognise your startup volume.

4. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, I held down Option at boot, and for some reason, it decided to work. So thanks!

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Good to hear that everythings working again!

I'd keep an eye on that HD though in your ibook. Kinda sounds like it might be on the verge of failing to me.

6. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well it's mostly used as my jukebox now, since I've stopped trying to get Ubuntu on it. (It sits next to my PC, in which the sound card doesn't work, hence the need for a jukebox. :))