Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Last night, I burned a LiveCD of Ubuntu to try and boot on my IceBook G3. I popped it in the drive, rebooted holding "C". Well, for some reason it didn't work and booted to Tiger instead. So I tried again, and this time it booted to a blank grey screen. Restarted, did same thing. Now, I took the disk out and tried to boot into Tiger as usual. Same thing happened, and every time I try, it still "boots" to that grey screen. Is my Tiger install botched? What can I do to restore it?

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
That, Cassie, is what's killed two Blue and White G3s for me. :(

Try holding option at startup to see if your HDD is recognized.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I've seen this problem a couple of times.

Try resetting the PRAM - hold down cmd-opt-p-r on boot. Wait until you hear the startup 'bong' the third time and release. Hopefully the G3 will then recognise your startup volume.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Good to hear that everythings working again!

I'd keep an eye on that HD though in your ibook. Kinda sounds like it might be on the verge of failing to me.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Good to hear that everythings working again!

I'd keep an eye on that HD though in your ibook. Kinda sounds like it might be on the verge of failing to me.

Well it's mostly used as my jukebox now, since I've stopped trying to get Ubuntu on it. (It sits next to my PC, in which the sound card doesn't work, hence the need for a jukebox. :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.