Tiger won't install: "BomFatalError - cpio read error: bad file format"

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
194
25
Two weeks and three installation discs later, Tiger still will not install onto either of my hard drives. The latest install disc Apple shipped at their convenience taking 9 days to arrive.

"BomFatalError - cpio read error: bad file format" is the error I see in the installer log. Same error every time, though not always occurring in the same place.

I had no problems whatsoever running 10.3.9.
I have verified, verified, verified, and reverified permissions and repairs on both hard drives.
I have allowed the installer to check the DVD every time without skipping.
I have removed third party ram.
I have disconnected all peripherals except the screen, the keyboard, and the mouse.
I have done everything from update to archive & install to erase & install.
I have even tried installing from my ipod.

AppleCare is completely useless, not to mention slow. They have no answers for this and just want to offer me another DVD to try (taking over a week to ship again) and a t-shirt to appease me.

I have 2 days left to get a refund from the store I bought it at. So if anyone has any ideas as to what this error is or how to get around it, please let me know.
 

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
322
0
AZ
Have you tried zeroing out one of your drives using the install disks "disk utility" program and then installing tiger?

I hope this works for you!
 

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
937
50
mickhyperion said:
I have 2 days left to get a refund from the store I bought it at. So if anyone has any ideas as to what this error is or how to get around it, please let me know.

Are you sure they'll give you cash back on opened software? I'm not personally aware of ANY store that will offer a cash refund on opened software. They will only exchange your software for the same title.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
One more suggestion besides pram/nvram. This is a PITA, and I'm aware of that, but try Erase & Install on *Panther*. And then, if it works, immediately try Erase & Install on Tiger.
 

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
194
25
Thanks for the tips, everyone. And after checking my receipt, looks like I won't be able to get a refund anyway so I guess I'm in it for the long haul.
 

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
3,258
117
Nowheresville
You may need to create a bill of materials (BOM) file on your hard drive. At the terminal type: man bom
See how to use it or that. It may not be able to make it itself, so you may have to use Panther to make it.
 

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
327
0
Escape from New England
If you can install Tiger onto anyone else's Mac from your DVD's then obviously it's your machine and getting replacements won't help you at all. If your DVD drive is snookered then you can get a friend with a firewire cable to install Tiger onto your FW-connected Mac (hold down T while booting, etc.)

Also, if your DVD drive is OK, then remove the 2nd HD from your tower and try to install, or put your drive into someone else's tower and try to install.
 

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
1,615
6
Try installing from another Disk Drive (external DVD) or try a zeroing of your HD before installing again.

You can also use the installer program in Panther to try install tiger on another HD. You gotta find the package (its hidden) on the DVD,
 

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
3,258
117
Nowheresville
Fukui said:
Try installing from another Disk Drive (external DVD) or try a zeroing of your HD before installing again.

You can also use the installer program in Panther to try install tiger on another HD. You gotta find the package (its hidden) on the DVD,
Just control+click and choose show package contents.
 

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
194
25
SUCCESS!! Thanks again to everyone who offered their advice.

Before trying any other ideas, I used another person's computer to create a bootable image on my iPod and that finally did the trick (having failed previously making the disk image from my own computer). Oddly enough, the Tiger installation failed again twice before installing successfully the third time. I got a slightly different error the second time... still a BomFatalError, but different info following that. Third time was the charm and so far everything seems to be working well.
 

Pruno

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2006
1
0
mickhyperion said:
Two weeks and three installation discs later, Tiger still will not install onto either of my hard drives. The latest install disc Apple shipped at their convenience taking 9 days to arrive.

"BomFatalError - cpio read error: bad file format" is the error I see in the installer log. Same error every time, though not always occurring in the same place.

I had no problems whatsoever running 10.3.9.
I have verified, verified, verified, and reverified permissions and repairs on both hard drives.
I have allowed the installer to check the DVD every time without skipping.
I have removed third party ram.
I have disconnected all peripherals except the screen, the keyboard, and the mouse.
I have done everything from update to archive & install to erase & install.
I have even tried installing from my ipod.

AppleCare is completely useless, not to mention slow. They have no answers for this and just want to offer me another DVD to try (taking over a week to ship again) and a t-shirt to appease me.

I have 2 days left to get a refund from the store I bought it at. So if anyone has any ideas as to what this error is or how to get around it, please let me know.

I have exactly the same problem. I have bought a Tiger copy and I can't install them.

I tried to format my hard drive, no result.
I tried to install in "custom" mode, and the installation was successfull. After the "welcome" configurations, I was unable to made any OS update, and all applications freeze on opening.

I don't have any iPod or other computer to help installation.

I don't think any firmware updates are available for my computer ( PowerMac G4 1GHz mirrored drive doors ).

I'm desesperated! :(

Please help me...
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Pruno said:
I don't think any firmware updates are available for my computer ( PowerMac G4 1GHz mirrored drive doors ).
Are you sure? Have you installed this?

If memory serves, there is an issue that requires that this patch be installed on an earlier version of OS X that botched some MDD upgrades to Tiger. Forum Search. You may need to backtrack your OS install to the point where you can run the updater.
 

bigredgpk

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2005
21
0
ditto

I have a new Macbook Pro and i'm having the same problem after I did the two updates for the firmware...

Any ideas?

Timmay
 

bigredgpk

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2005
21
0
Plymouthbreezer said:
AppleCare? :eek:
AppleCare? i've been on the phone with them for the past 2 hrs trying to get this resolved with no resolution in sight! These guys are killing my afternoon.

Timmay