Tiger Woods 2008 - Annoyance/Bug

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by kolax, Jan 23, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

After playing online, TW2008 will attempt to go back to the lobby and half the time will just crash. Real pain. However, what is really annoying is half of the time when it does crash, I can't restart the application without restarting my Mac.

It'll load into the Dock, then just quit. I've tried looking for EA processes in Activity Monitor that still might be loaded causing this, but don't see anything.

Why on earth does this happen? It pisses me off that I paid £30 for this game and it really is a load of crap. It's great fun when it works, but it crashes and there are so many bugs that it just isn't worth the hassle half the time.

And of course, you can't add additional courses on the Mac Cider Port.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Have you updated to v947?

BTW.. it is a .RAR file, so maybe you'll need an app to "un-rar" it (like MacPar, or Stuffit Expander).
    There was an issue with the update before, where the execute rights weren't set correctly, but I think it is okay now.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Thanks for reply - each time I try to install the update, it crashes half way through.

It did that on my old previous gen MBP and this one. Not sure if it actually installs the update, and no point in asking EA for help..

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I had that problem too.

After analyzing the issue, it seemed that the user doens't have sufficient rights to do the update. :confused:
    Strange, but true...

What I did, was go to the terminal, navigate to the updater, and set all permissions to everyone (read, write and execute):

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Cheers - the Terminal trick sorted the permissions and the patch was successful!

You don't happen to know how to install 3rd party courses?

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Nope sorry.

Haven't tried it, yet.
    If I do, and figured something out, I'll get back to you.

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

http://www.coursedownloads.net/index.asp

That's the website - whole load of them. Really well done courses. I'm mad to try Augusta National 2008. I asked on their forum but they said it gets added to the Windows registry (that's how TW2008 knows where the course is).

I've no idea where the registry is in the TW2008 Cider Port. I've had a look around, and added the course to a config file that contained all the courses and put the actual course in the courses folder, but didn't work.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Tnx for the link.

I'll be trying them out coming weekend!
    I'll let you know how I'm getting along.

9. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Had any luck working out how to install the courses yet?

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Hadn't the time for it yet.... sorry.
    But, I will soon! Haven't forgotten you... :)

11. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Sure you haven't forgotten? ;)

I can't find anyone else who uses the Mac version and I'd love to play Augusta! Master's time!

12. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Had any time recently MacsRgr8? ;)

I did spend some time recently trying to work out a way to add them.. but no luck.

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Sorry I have kept you waiting, Kilamite.

Well, I have tried a few (including "Augusta National (The PGAX Masters) by: PGAX Design"), but I can't get them to load either.

I assume you'll be needing to re-Cider the game, with these courses already installed.
    Trouble is, I don't own the PC version of the game, otherwise maybe Crossover gaming can help.... Install, then install the extra courses, and copy the changes back into the resources of the Mac version might work?