Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
When people look back on OS X 10.4 Tiger, what do you think they'll say? As a comparison to the Windows world, Vista's legacy already seems cemented as a bust. XP will probably be remembered as a solid, long-lasting OS - it's been around for 6 years, still as usable as ever... a lifetime in the tech world. Many still prefer to it to its successor, Vista.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Entirely depends on how Leopard goes down. If it fails (which i doubt it will) then Tiger will be the solid-as-a-rock OS that was dependable and safe. But it might be remembered as the last of the 'old' OSs, with that horrible old finder and rubbish, non-Core-Animation apps. We don't know.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
Tiger will be seen as the operating system that catapulted Apple's Macs into the spotlight while Microsoft languished with Vista. Macs were already doing well, but it seems like things exploded in 2005. Spotlight seemed so neat and amazing (and Leopard will make it fast enough to be usable :) ), and Dashboard was just plain cool. I still use it to check on the weather, convert units, etc.

looklost

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2002
Chicago Suburbs
I don't know how non-mac user will regard Tiger down the road, but as a mac user Tiger is the first version of OS X that felt like a feature rich OS compared to just a core OS like the earler versions. Tiger is also able to be installed on older hardware (I have an original imac 233mhz and the first Powerbook 400mhz both running Tiger) which Leopard will not. I think because of that, Tiger will be remembered and still used even after Leopard is replaced by Apple's next big cat.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Spotlight was a new feature that worked and is useful to almost everyone. Dashboard failed in that regard. But as far as Spotlight being slow, I've never really noticed that, and I'm on a 1.33 G4. However, I usually have next to nothing on my drive.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
It'll be seen as the start of the turning point for apple. The switchers OS. This would be more due the intel move, but history often remembers things fuzzy.

For me it was the first OS X that got my attention enough to chuck in linux (having banished xp a few years prior). Previous to it my experience was OS9 and I was a PC builder on a budget. Apple was not for me then.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Spotlight was a new feature that worked and is useful to almost everyone. Dashboard failed in that regard. But as far as Spotlight being slow, I've never really noticed that, and I'm on a 1.33 G4. However, I usually have next to nothing on my drive.

I found that dashboard was a feature that I didn't like and was gimmicky, but over the past few months I've started to use it more and more. If you look for the right widgets it'll probably be useful to you too.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Tiger is obviously the best OS I have ever used. Really nice.

However, I found Panther to be perfectly fine. I found Panther to be a very solid OS with what you need, and then Tiger started to add things you needed, but did not know you needed. They ended up very big things though.

Of course, it also brought Intel to the Mac.

Leopard is going to add a few more things that we'll realize we needed, once we have them. Furthermore, it's going to polish the way we interact with our Mac and the way it looks.

Tiger should be remembered fondly as well as Panther. However, Tiger will have more of a legacy as there have been many more Macs shipped with Tiger, and Tiger supports still a good number of older systems. Some people will be running Tiger quite a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.