Tight USB slot

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by freeman727, Aug 16, 2011.

1. freeman727 macrumors 6502

Hey folks. I got a 11.6" 2 weeks ago and noticed the USB slot on the left side is very very tight. I could plug various USB devices in but it took some effort to insert and pull out (no jokes please). Does anyone else have this issue? Do you think its worth bringing over to the Genius Bar?

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Well in a device that small what do you expect? Have lower expectations!

Kidding. But, I'd test MacBook Airs at the Apple Store or something. Try plugging in something that your Air has trouble with. It might be normal and you're not used to it, or it might be a genuine problem. Hard for us to really tell over the Internet though!

3. Surely Guest

Surely

4. pil0tflame macrumors member

If there's a significant difference between the left and right USB ports, then there is likely an issue. They should behave very similarly to one another.

As suggested, take it in to have it looked at. If excessive, the force required to insert/remove devices could damage the USB port and/or device over time.

5. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

My thoughts exactly. :D

6. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, the right sided USB slot is fine. The left side is really tight. I guess I'll head over to the Genius Bar to have them take a look.

7. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

At first I thought you're much too OCD for such a small matter.

But on a 2nd thought, it COULD be some flaw on the chassis or the assembly. You can inspect the USB port and compare both to see if there's any misalignment or slightly warped piece of metal inside?

But still, tight is better than loose.:D

8. pc527 macrumors newbie

i have same problem here.

peter